Washing willies

If it needs doing then just warm water - no soap, oils or anything else. Over the years I've seen a few horses with bad reactions to things used for willy washing and it's not nice for them to have happen or the owner to try and deal with. My vet's rule is unless there's a problem leave well alone, and if there is a problem call them.

You can get specific sheath cleaner but I’ve not found it to be much use. I personally use a bit of baby oil to quickly loosen the gunk and carefully tease off lumps, I don’t wash it off and it keeps working to loosen any stubborn smeg over coming days.

Reactions: Native Lover
If it needs doing then just warm water - no soap, oils or anything else. Over the years I've seen a few horses with bad reactions to things used for willy washing and it's not nice for them to have happen or the owner to try and deal with. My vet's rule is unless there's a problem leave well alone, and if there is a problem call them.

This is what I go by too.

Reactions: carthorse
Just warm water. I am having to do Robin weekly just now as he is so disgusting. I have tried leaving alone but his back legs and in front of the sheath is just awful. Vet has had a look and can’t find anything wrong.

Ben used to get very smeggy (is that a word?). When he needed washing his back legs would be covered in that black, tar light substance. I used to use warm water and a bar of dove soap. The soap is very mild but helped to clean much better than just plain water.

I seem to be lucky - Ramsey stayed very clean, and so far, so has Hogan. For that, I am very grateful.

Ive never washed. Chunky use to get very flakey, but you could gently pull off the flakes. The flakes never seemed to bother him. I never knew about the bean issue although i had heard of it. When i did find out where to look and check chunky i was horrified at the size of the one i removed. I do check regularly now and he usually just has a bit of smelly smeg which i can just flick out.

Billy gets a bit of black discharge on his hairs but theres not a chance in hell of cleaning him or pulling it off the hairs. Youve more chance of being propelled across the yard. The vet did actually check him in September when he was sedated for his teeth and said he was fine.

KY jelly is what I use to clean horse sheaths. I used baby oil for years with no issues but switched to KY as I’m doing the wee guy so often as he’s flipping minging 🤢🤢

Put loads in and in the next few days after all the bits you couldn’t quite get slide off on their own.

For those who won’t let you near I’ve put pig oil (no sulphur) in a squeezy bottle and squirted them when peeing. Makes it all fall out by itself but you can’t get the bean

Reactions: Jessey
Just had to do robin again, he is disgusting. And now realising that my sleeve got wet and now stinks too 🤢

Reactions: MrC
newrider.com