Washing and proofing your own rugs!

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I haven't been able to find anywhere round here that cleans rugs, as the place I knew has just gone out of business, so I've decided to do my own! As Roxy is in 5'9 rugs I can just about squash her medium/heavyweight turnout into my machine and have some proofing stuff I just chuck in and wash with it once it's clean. Does anyone else do this?

I used to use a cotton liner under Oscar's rugs, so no washing of heavy rugs required, just a good stiff brush on the outside and then brush or spray on the waterproofer and hang them over the fence to dry. Hubby would have had a fit if I'd put them in the washing machine so it's a good thing they didn't fit!

Rain sheets, fleeces I use washer at the yard. Heavier rugs get a brush on them to remove any heavily soiled stuff then at the end of the season they go to rug wash and go away for the next year.

I did my rugs last year, lighter ones went in my machine at home after I'd brushed the worst of the mud and hair off, her full neck MW got a good hose and scrub with soap then I put rug proof on with a huge brush and they are better waterproofed than when I've sent them away to be done in the past.
I went for the paint on method as didnt want the insides waterproofed too and it wasn't a superb waterproofness when I used the nikwax stuff before :)

I used the in-machine proofing stuff and am slightly dubious about it having contact with Roxy's skin, so hosed it all down again in the garden! Well - that's just an extra rinse isn't it? It isn't perfectly clean but it's passable now. I won't be able to see if it's actually worked until winter strikes but with a bit of luck I'll get it dry by then!

Reactions: Jessey
I have done rain sheets in the past using nik wax in the washing machine and they've been fine. Tho when you weigh cost up it's still pricey as I bought the nik wax rug wash and the re proofer. I couldn't get mine done locally tho so had no choice. I can't make medium weights fit in the machine tho!

I used the in-machine proofing stuff and am slightly dubious about it having contact with Roxy's skin, so hosed it all down again in the garden! Well - that's just an extra rinse isn't it? It isn't perfectly clean but it's passable now. I won't be able to see if it's actually worked until winter strikes but with a bit of luck I'll get it dry by then!

Make sure you test it before the really bad cold and rain come! Don't want your princess to have a wet cold back!!:D

newrider.com