was this a hoax about horse thieves, anyone else had loads of texts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWicked

fluff-free
Jan 13, 2008
in the real world...
ive seen a couple of threads on here warning about potential thieves photgraphing horses in fields, and the threads are closed? These were (i think) in England - im in North Scotland and I had 3 texts from different people today saying the same thing , the same reg, and the same detaisl about a red land cruiser,.,,, :confused:

i think its just been passed on
BUT surely if the reg was real, they would *police* have done somehting by now
and theres been "sightings" near me :(

BUT the reg that is registered is a white transit van not a red one
xx

im thinking its no hoax, as a horse has been stolen in devon and theres a few other horses over the country that have been stolen, alot of people have been commenting on how the people are going from one county to another quickley, well its not hard. the uk, is pretty small...

at the end of the day id rather be bombarded with texts, and on my guard then find my horse gone because i laughed it off, joke or no joke, its not worth the risk.

the registrations belong to cars that were crushed, so the are fake plates.

local travellers (who are lovely people) in my area the my yard are friends with have seen men getting out of whate vans taking photos of their coloured cobs.
the traverllers have huge fields full of them and also its sometimes really hard to tell on coloured from another.
at first they said they thought its was other irish travellers trying to get them but apparently its 2 eastern euroupean men he told us

also a dressage yard round the corner from us said they had a phone call from the police telling them people are stealing horses to order

derbyshire police have put notices up in my local tack shop and they have a thing about it on their website, just telling people to be carefull and report anything that looks suspicious! its says about a white van and a red land cruiser!
And im not even derbyshire! so i think it may be all over the country! i dont think it is a hoax!

how have people been getting texts? are they from the police?:confused:

I'm sure they are real, but I think the threads were probably closed because there were so many new threads coming up each day saying excatly the same thing.

we had a report of 2 horse's stolen in west lothian with some elements of the 2 men in van thing.

Called police friend and they said they couldnt find any report about a theft. but will check further. So id say its probably been genuine but is now gone a bit hoax like.

My YO phoned the police the today and was told that the thieves had been recently spotted in the essex area and were specifically targeting cobs.

Whether its a hoax or not, im not taking the risks. Our yard has been put on alert.

Stafford people!!

I don't think it's the same people that are mentioned in the text but there are a group of people targeting the Staffordshire/Shropshire border. Specifically areas between Stafford & Newport. I know of 2 yards that have been affected.

Hoax or not it can happen at any time, so maybe making us think about it has been a good thing either way. It seems alot gets stolen at this time of year though.

My YO phoned the police the today and was told that the thieves had been recently spotted in the essex area and were specifically targeting cobs.

Whether its a hoax or not, im not taking the risks. Our yard has been put on alert.

:S I will warn yard tomorrow!

ive seen a couple of threads on here warning about potential thieves photgraphing horses in fields, and the threads are closed? These were (i think) in England - im in North Scotland and I had 3 texts from different people today saying the same thing , the same reg, and the same detaisl about a red land cruiser,.,,, :confused:

Yes, I've had the messages (& e-mails now!) too, and am quite frankly getting fed up of it! :rolleyes:

While I'm sure there's been some basis of truth to the tale - there seems to have been some info on the horsewatch website, it now seems to have been blown out of all proportion, and nothing short of scaremongering, something in between "chinese whispers" and a chain letter. This is causing unnecessary panic and distress to some horse owners. So far all I've heard when I've tried to find out the origins of the version that I've received are tales of people who know people who know someone who saw something or might have had something stolen - well, that's practically conclusive then, isn't it?!? :rolleyes:

I think it's wise for horse owners to be vigilent, report anything suspiscious and take reasonable security precautions, but isn't this what most of us do anyway?

The sad fact is that horses, horse vehicles and equipment ARE stolen on a fairly frequent basis, and unfortunately this will continue to be the case, as no number of text messages or security measures will stop the most determined thieves.

I'm hoping now that the people who insist on repeatedly forwarding these text messages are running out of credit!

Yes, I've had the messages (& e-mails now!) too, and am quite frankly getting fed up of it! :rolleyes:

While I'm sure there's been some basis of truth to the tale - there seems to have been some info on the horsewatch website, it now seems to have been blown out of all proportion, and nothing short of scaremongering, something in between "chinese whispers" and a chain letter. This is causing unnecessary panic and distress to some horse owners. So far all I've heard when I've tried to find out the origins of the version that I've received are tales of people who know people who know someone who saw something or might have had something stolen - well, that's practically conclusive then, isn't it?!? :rolleyes:

I think it's wise for horse owners to be vigilent, report anything suspiscious and take reasonable security precautions, but isn't this what most of us do anyway?

The sad fact is that horses, horse vehicles and equipment ARE stolen on a fairly frequent basis, and unfortunately this will continue to be the case, as no number of text messages or security measures will stop the most determined thieves.

I'm hoping now that the people who insist on repeatedly forwarding these text messages are running out of credit!

i couldn't agree more! vigilance is advisable but do we really need thread after thread on NR popping up saying EXACTLY the same thing?! it is verging on scaremongering now...

My farrier texted me the warning this week. Nearly wet myself as I saw with my own eyes 2 men walking out of the footpath past my yard. They asked me if they could ride the horses in European accents and were drinking. Could just be co-incidence and the whole thing urban legend, but everyone should keep their eyes and ears open anyway.

I am also very worried and have just bought cctv for the yard as well as buying large chains and padlocks for all the gates etc.
Luckily only one of mine will load easily and 2 won't let strangers anywhere near them. Which normally is a nuissance but at present I'm glad about it. Also I live on site and Loki screams as soon as he hears anybody (my very own guard pony) and my landlord and several other cottages are also on site so I think with all that info I have a feeling they would find it hard to take any of mine, But I am not going to take any risks.

Hope they catch them soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com