War Horse - FANTASTIC!!!!!

nicolaj

Mar 8, 2005
Sydney Australia
Went to see War Horse yesterday at the New London Theatre, well it was just brilliant!

It is a play based on the book by Michael Morpurgo, about the relationship between Albert and his horse Joey. The story goes from when Joey was a foal and the bond being built to Joey being sold into the cavalry when the 1st WW breaks out.

Albert then joins up to find Joey. I won't ruin the story!

It was just amazing, the horses were puppets, but not puppets like the muppets. The horses are act just so realistic and stand at about 18hh and are 'ridden' by the actors.

The passion of the actors is brilliant, the set is very simplistic but really the action is focused upon the horses and the actors.

If you go be prepared and take plenty of hankies! There were sniffs all round, at the end the girl next to me was crying! I just about hung on in there, but was choked up for about 20 mins after! LOL!! A word of warning, it isn't for the little ones, there are loud bangs and gun shots and also 'death' scenes which could upset younger viewers, 12+.

We were right at the front, couldn't get much closer if we were sitting on the stage! If you do go just try to avoid row AA but try to get to the front as you will miss so much!

Here is the trail to give you a taste!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bni4QqSv4

I've just finished the book - brilliant :) Hopefully will go to see the play when in London in July..

It looks fantastic! There were tears while I read the book though.. very touching..

I just read the book too in a single day (OK - I know it's kind of a kiddie book :eek:).

It had me very emotional I have to say, the sheer waste of human and horsey lives.

I hope it tours the country though, as defo want to go and see it! :)

Ohh I saw this sometime last year, then I had to go and see it again as I thought it was so good! So went April I think this year! :D

It's soo amazing isn't it?!

You forget that the puppeteers next to the horses are actually there, then when you seem them it's just like "who are they?"!

It's ridiculously realistic, I love it! :D Glad you enjoyed it!

I really do hope it tours, so others can get a chance to see it in their local towns/cities. And yes, I will go and see it again!

The puppetiers really do become part of the horse and you do forget they are there you become so absorbed! The person who operates the front legs, also gets the horse to 'breath' is the only way I can describe it.

But be warned, take loads of hankies if you do go!!:D

I'll bet people who haven't seen it, when they see people pouring out of the theatre in tears think I'm not going to see that play, everybody who comes out is crying!!!:rolleyes:

OH enjoyed it as well, he likes horses but isn't 'horsey' but he found it really interesting to see how the horses moved and were built. So you could probably persaude a non horsey OH to go!

nicolaj

What is wrong with Row AA (do you mean Row A in the circle)? I am going next Friday and am sitting in Row A in the Dress Circle - hope it isn't a really bad place to be.

Jill

OMG sounds just to sad for me. I have had my little marey since she was 5 months old (now 9yrs) and would not let her go to war through hell or high water.

Couldnt poss go un watch anything like that way to sad for me:eek:

I saw it when it was first on at the National - got the last 2 tickets available in the whole run - although we were way at back, we had a good view and it was one of the best things I have ever seen in a theatre. The puppetry movement is just a-m-a-zing!

Jill, we were in seats 4&5 row AA, as the per the seating plan:

http://ticketing.nationaltheatre.org.uk/_images/seatingmaps/NewLondonTheatrePlan.pdf

Just very close to the stage, got a bit of neck ache! LOL! Could touch the stage that close. TBH the New London didn't seem to be as big as the Hippodrome in Birmingham, so I expect you will have good view.

Tina1958, I don't want to ruin the ending for anybody! Although Albert doesn't sell Joey to the army, his father does.

If it tours I will go and see it again!

Thanks Nicolaj. We are expecting to have a handrail/bar of some sort in front of us (hence the slightly lower price than the row behind us in the circle), but hopefully we will be able to peer under/over it.

We are really looking forward to seeing the show and I am going to take a whole box of tissues with me as I am bound to cry buckets!

Oh gosh

Trailer just made me tearful. Was looking for an outing for my 30th birthday think this could be it. Would you recommend reading the book first?

Also i have never been to the theatre where should we sit? I dont mind paying for the best seats.

Jenni

newrider.com