Want to see some mini bones?

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
I haven't posted on here for a while but wanted to share the mystery of Holls lameness.

My wonderful little Shetland has been on and off lame for a while - and whilst she hasn't seemed in much pain she has been quite lame at times.

When rest and bute didn't help me and the vet decided she should go to the clinic for nerve blocks and X-Rays. So, that is where we have been all afternoon. The whole thing was becoming a real mystery. H wasn't having the nerve blocks at all, and her tiny legs were causing us a few problems. 1) identifying where the lameness was and 2) finding the nerves to inject accurately when she was jumping all over. She was getting in a bit of a panic so she was sedated to stay still So we could go on to X-Ray where the vet thought the problem was (Sesamoiditis) but the bones were all clear and fine. She thought maybe a problem with the ligament in the area but there wasn't anything obvious. She suggested whilst we had the X-Ray machine out she looked at her hock and stifle.

The X-Ray to her hock showed some quite obvious abnormality so the vet took a pic of her other leg to compare. Basically it looks like the little bones haven't ever ossified properly. So there isn't really a lot that can be done. She isn't in pain as such but the mechanics of the joint aren't normal so I will have to decide myself what to do. I might start walking her daily as it does seem to seize up if she rests and keeps still too much. Danillon didn't help at all. I can see if any joint supplements work but apart from that I just have to be hopeful she can stay happy and take each day as it comes. Difficult one, she does some pony rides and I was driving her until all this- although I am sure that box rest after lami has caused it to to be a problem for her- even though she has probably been like this since a foal. If she had been larger it would have been more obvious. Anyway, here are her X-Rays. 1st is the normal hock joint, the second is her odd one.

Also, what would you do in this situation? I am feeling quite positive but not sure how things will pan out.

SNAPE-BURNSHOLLY_Se1_Im009.jpg

SNAPE-BURNSHOLLY_Se1_Im006.jpg

At least you have your answers.

What would I do? I'd be having a chat with my vet to find out the perfect way to manage her and seeing if that was achievable. Mine don't owe me their living so don't need to perform a job. All the time any pony of mine is happy and not in discomfort then they get the best life I can give them. If I can't keep them comfortable then they would get a dignified ending with a shorter but pain free life.

No expert on xrays or joints there but I can see the difference clearly there:unsure:

So long as she's comfortable, or you can make her comfortable then I'd take it as it comes, a horse doesn't have to be 100% sound to enjoy life so long as that's the case. And do as much or as little with her as seems beneficial physically and mentally at any point in time. She's such an adorable little thing :)

Hock and stifle problems are not uncommon in Shetlands. IT's something our vet goes over with a fine tooth comb when he's vetting them. Back legs and teeth.

However, on a sound day there's nothing stopping them giving pony rides and doing a bit of light work. ON sore days let them have the day in the field. They are better off kept mobile and busy than getting fat and stiff in a stable.

Shetlands, being lighter and stockier manage lameness and problems better than a big horse. They do not have the law of diminishing returns to cope with like a big horse has.

Thanks everyone. Yes Yann- there is a very obvious difference.

I am going to try and lightly work her on good days I think. I understand what you mean about not needing to perform Joyscarer, but I also think H would be happier doing the bits of work she does rather than spending all her time in a field. I talked to my vet about management, but she pretty much said to go with my instincts as she knows me quite well. So, I am reading up about which of the millions of joint supplements might help with something like this and am going to keep her moving. Take each day at a time and if she is sore then she can have all the time she needs.

Thanks Wally- I suppose I felt confused about whether to just retire her- I knew it wasn't right for the condition, but also thought I might be being cruel if I gently worked her.

newrider.com