Wally or any other sheep keepers? UPDATE

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
@Wally or any other sheep keepers out there I need a bit of advice. One of my ewes came up with a large swelling Friday evening on her right side. I at first thought bloat but reading up on it it mentions that it appears on the left side and in bad cases will also bloat on the right side, She has no swelling at all on the left. She is eating and drinking etc as normal..I thought I would wait and see if the swelling went down, it hasn't.Debiie.3.jpg Debbie.2.jpg She is Angry Debbie as I call her, always a cross patch, she is the one who always gets bother with her feet, I am constantly having to trim and spray her feet. She is limping again at the moment but I have treated her feet and nothing obviously wrong with them. I am now wondering if she could have damaged her leg somehow and maybe the swelling is from the way she is walking or lying?? Cramped muscle?? I have sent a pic to the vet this morning but still waiting to hear back from him. Here is a few pics of her...yes i know her tail is cut too short, poor girl, but she was like that when we bought her. Any ideas??

Thanks @Trewsers I still haven't heard back from the vet and to tell the truth I am not pushing for him to come out as sometimes with sheep less is best..I am worried the vet will come out and upset her and maybe it is one of those things will correct its self??? but at the same time I am worried if I do nothing and something bad happens I will never forgive myself...i do get myself into a twist over things like this..

Thanks @Trewsers I still haven't heard back from the vet and to tell the truth I am not pushing for him to come out as sometimes with sheep less is best..I am worried the vet will come out and upset her and maybe it is one of those things will correct its self??? but at the same time I am worried if I do nothing and something bad happens I will never forgive myself...i do get myself into a twist over things like this..

Yes I'd be the same. Lots of vibes for it righting itself.

Reactions: joellie
I'd stick a needle in it and aspirate it and see what's in it

Wally I would so love too, but worried what harm i could do?? I think if it hasn't started to go down in a day or two I will speak to the vet and get some answers from him.

I don't think you'll do any damage so long as you go steady. I have deflated them on the left hand side with a white needle when they have bloated.

I don't think you'll do any damage so long as you go steady. I have deflated them on the left hand side with a white needle when they have bloated.

You are definitely more on hands than me..I have decided if it isn't down by tomorrow morning (that will be a week) i am getting the vet to come out.

Of subject but I just came across this post of yours from 2014..the video of Tor is great, his paces are beautiful :D
http://www.newrider.com/threads/wally-on-the-naughty-step-for-the-foreseeable.243198/

Vet came out and it was an abscess(@CharliesAngel guessed right), she put a needle in first which was what @Wally suggested and it was just clear fluid but then she decided to lance it and the amount of bloody thick fluid came out but she said it wasn't really nasty. It is left open to drain and I have to inject her everyday for a week with antibiotics..hopefully she will now be ok but the vet did say if it came back which it may do just best to leave well alone if she is eating , drinking and going about ok rather than to have to open it up all the time to drain.

That's a first for me not had any of my sheep do that. I just showed someone else the pic and they said abscess. Then I read down further and your vet confirmed.
I would agree to leave alone unless you need to especially at this time of year with the flies about.

That's a first for me not had any of my sheep do that. I just showed someone else the pic and they said abscess. Then I read down further and your vet confirmed.
I would agree to leave alone unless you need to especially at this time of year with the flies about.

Well she lanced it open this time and I am worried about the flies, I mentioned this to her and she told me to just keep spraying it with blue or purple spray..it looks awful, it is still dripping and I can see the open wound but she insisted even though it looks nasty thats the way it has to be...I was thinking i will wash it with hibiscrub tomorrow and clip all the wool away, then spray it with purple spray and then give her the shot of antibiotics...I am not looking forward to it..will see if I can get some pics but I have to try and handle her on my own so wont be easy..I am about to go down now to check on her again.

newrider.com