Walking like a supermodel?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Driving down the lane today I passed two tall and gorgeous blood 'osses being ridden very properly on the bit by their ladies. The one in front, a very handsome black, was walking in a way that I can only describe as like a supermodel - putting each front foot in front of the other, as if posing on the catwalk.

It looked very elegant, but rather odd. I am sure horses aren't supposed to walk this way - otherwise why would sellers bang on about "lovely straight movement" in ads? But is this a recognised movement, and if so what is it called, and why is it undesirable?

Answers on a postcard...

Sounds interesting. Joe used to "mince" along at times, like a right prima donna, but then again, he did not have good conformation and some of his moves were not that good.

Plaiting - like opposite to dishing. It's not very desirable and is usually due to poor conformation and can lead to issues of wear and tear later in life.

I went to view a horse at a dealer once, that plaited and the dealer described it as "cute". At that exact moment I decided I wasnt buying from her :lol:

Plaiting - like opposite to dishing. It's not very desirable and is usually due to poor conformation and can lead to issues of wear and tear later in life.

I went to view a horse at a dealer once, that plaited and the dealer described it as "cute". At that exact moment I decided I wasnt buying from her :lol:

This!

newrider.com