Waiting anxiously by the phone, in total flap

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I've put in an offer for the lovely Roxy and really can't go any higher as will need to buy a saddle, pay for vetting, deposit on livery yard etc. Now I am waiting anxiously to hear whether it's accepted, all sorts of thoughts are running through my head - can I really afford her, will I have enough time for her with work and the kids as well, what if she goes nuts as soon as I move her, what if *insert disaster here* happens? In short, I am panicking. This is completely normal though, right? I need reassurance, heeeeeelp!

Yes it is totally normal, I remember getting palpitations quite frequently when I was buying Rubic but there is no need to panic because whatever happens you'll make it work. You'll find the time! I hope that they accept your offer. :D

I spent the first few months of owning Dolly in a panic! Waiting for her to go lame, waiting for her to really bronc me off, waiting for her to bolt at anything faster than a slow trot.....the list goes on and on! All normal, except my nervousness let it continue for a good we while until I started to relax about her:p - so when is the deadline for your offer?

When i bought Ben it all happened so quickly. I got him to the yard and just wondered what the hell i had done! Its normal to feel like this. So tell us more about Roxy.

Totally normal. I made the decision about Lucy pretty instantly, and then had a couple of months adjustment as i hadn't realised how much all of Rusty's hang ups and naughty behaviour had dented my confidence. With lots of support from my yard owner (and friend) we have now bonded really well and i totally trust her. I freaked out a bit at the time as to whether i was doing the right thing, but went with my gut and my heart and it all worked out. I am sure if you are going with your gut, you will work out all the finer details as and when you need too. Fingers crossed for you and good luck x

Oh totally normal don't worry, it's just because it means a lot to you. I was the same about Annie and I didn't even have to pay for her!

Well at least they didn't say no straight away so they must be thinking about it, or waiting for someone else to view. And yes, what you are feeling is completely normal!

I spent the first few months of owning Dolly in a panic! Waiting for her to go lame, waiting for her to really bronc me off, waiting for her to bolt at anything faster than a slow trot.....the list goes on and on! All normal, except my nervousness let it continue for a good we while until I started to relax about her:p - so when is the deadline for your offer?

I think they're going to let me know today.

Last edited:
When i bought Ben it all happened so quickly. I got him to the yard and just wondered what the hell i had done! Its normal to feel like this. So tell us more about Roxy.
These are her details, she is a chestnut mare:
Striking 14 yr old Belgian Warmblood Mare 14h2" (147cmLHC)Dressage scores over 63% in unaffiliated/Pony Club. Competed Addington Manor Unaffiliated Winter Champs; Under 21s; BD (2 points). Training Elementary competing Novice. EASY to do mare with eye-catching looks. Had career as show jumper competing POYS, Scope etc (JC), so she is easy to do because she has done it all. Very relaxed at shows and when she is out & about.

Lovely to hack and we think would suit Mother/daughter share or an adult rider. Good Riding Club/PC type pony or adult who wants to hack and do a bit of dressage. Selected for Whaddon Chase Novice dressage team last year but had BD points which were later downgraded.

Reactions: kaliko99
Good Luck !!! I dont think panic ever goes in horse ownership! They like to keep us on our toes :D

Reactions: Trewsers
Just a thought here. Why not a 5 stage vetting - I dont believe there is a huge difference in price but there is a huge difference in what is covered - plus if it gets so far in and the vet fails it, most reputable ones will tell you at that point and not go further, so you are then only charged for a two stage? :) Only thinking ahead here and remembering your heartache with Poppy, protect yourself this time for any eventualities that you can.

Just a thought here. Why not a 5 stage vetting - I dont believe there is a huge difference in price but there is a huge difference in what is covered - plus if it gets so far in and the vet fails it, most reputable ones will tell you at that point and not go further, so you are then only charged for a two stage? :) Only thinking ahead here and remembering your heartache with Poppy, protect yourself this time for any eventualities that you can.

Not sure a 5 stage vetting would have made a difference, I think the problem with Poppy was that the vet was dodgy and I wasn't there. I'll go with my vet this time and see what she says on the day. TBH I don't mind if there are a few minor issues, she's mainly going to be hacking and schooling and not ridden hard. So long as she's not a broncer!

I would always go with a 5 stage vetting, but that's just me. For an extra £100 or so I would just have it done and get all the information from that vet that you can.

She sounds really lovely and just the sort who will improve your riding but keep you safe. My only concern would be that she had a career as a show jumper and they are selling her as a dressage horse. I would want to be sure that there is no underlying injury that prevented her from jumping which may crop up again in the future.

Reactions: Cortrasna
I would always go with a 5 stage vetting, but that's just me. For an extra £100 or so I would just have it done and get all the information from that vet that you can.

She sounds really lovely and just the sort who will improve your riding but keep you safe. My only concern would be that she had a career as a show jumper and they are selling her as a dressage horse. I would want to be sure that there is no underlying injury that prevented her from jumping which may crop up again in the future.

Not that I know of, and I asked about the jumping. They just didn't want her to go to another teenage home where she'd be sold on again once outgrown, as she is now 14. Hence selling her to meeeeeeeeee.

newrider.com