*wails* "I don't wanna play"!!!

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
Poor Roxy this morning didn't want to go out to play with her new 'friends'!

When I brought her in last night she followed me across the field - no headcollar required, she just followed me loyally (love it when they do that!) until we got to the gate & into the stables area. She was pleased to come in I think.

Her 'friend' she's made stood at the fence for a 10 mins calling for her though, asking her to come back out to play!

This morning I went to walk her to the field, got so far... then rooted herself to the spot! I felt like a parent taking their child to school when the child doesn't want to go and clings to Mum's leg, crying! I think we had the equine version this morning.

Much walking around and coaxing later she did walk calmly & went through the gate okay where her friend was waiting (although you'd think Roxy hated her judging by her ears being pinned back & her nostrils turned up - she's such a snob sometimes). I kept an eye on her as I was doing stuff. A couple of the others chased her away a few times but nothing untoward - normal behaviour for a herd with a new horse.

Just thought I'd tell you all! :)

Aww yes I know how you feel, but I think it's more of a

"don't make me go back in the mud mummy, why can't I have a lovely stable like everyone else?"

My response: "No Dobbs, you must go in the field because there is no stable for you, and you are a native so should be living out. Get out there. The mud will be over soon."

Then me standing with my arm pointing towards the field and her storming in, and sulking for the rest of the day.

I feel like a horrible mum sometimes. But it's for her own good!

x

^^^ yes that sounds familiar!

I also get "but all the other horses have rugs on, why can't I have one as well?"

Because you're a big ol' hairy cob Roxy, you don't need a rug!

And to make me feel worse this morning, as she walked through the gate she turned around straight away (probalby to cry on my shoulder) I shut the gate at the same time & accidentally hit her on the head with it :(

She's probably phoned the RSPCA herself already...

Last edited:
Aw, its awful at first isn't it? I remember when a new mare joined Storm's herd on the first yard we were on, and it was awful to watch. Every morning it came and practically "begged" to be accepted. Storm was very mean to it I have to say! Ain't nature cruel sometimes?!
Hope she settles soon and they all play nicely together!!!!

newrider.com