Volunteer - Horses

GatoMessi

Oct 2, 2021
I am trying to volunteer to work with horses in order to boost a better chance in applying for one Equine course(s) at University, but none of them are able to offer any further volunteering placements. They are happy to contact me if any volunteering opportunities arise soon. (More likely I become a flying-pig trainer!)

I don't ask anything else - like FREE lessons when doing Volunteer work like many of them do. During half-term, school vacation, I see so many school/college girls volunteer there but almost empty when it is during term time! I asked to help during term time.

I am not getting any younger as I am 53 years old..... my chance is getting slimmer and especially before September 2022's entry.

However, I have been accepted to do the same from various countries (South Africa, Zimbabwe, USA, Peru), but they cost around £2,000 for 4 weeks (not including air fares). $3,200 for 4 weeks - Mustang Rescue & Rehabilitation in Florida. I am currently unemployed and the UC may stop paying me if I go abroad. Can't win, Can I?

What do you suggest?

It can be tough, some places will operate with less staff during school holidays etc. as they don't have clients around and therefore don't have staff to supervise volunteers. Perhaps we can help you target the right places, in a way more likely to be considered - what type of people/places are you approaching? what are you asking for/offering?

Reactions: GatoMessi
Have you tried RDA? Local charities? Or at a bit of a tangent asking local farriers if you could do some time with them, sometimes on big yards it's helpful for them to have someone to hold horses. This time of year I see a lot of part time jobs for mucking out etc advertised.

Are you putting limits on the hours you can do or what you will do? That may be some of the trouble if you are.

Yes, whereabouts are you? In my area there are always yards advertising for helpers. Our local horse charity (Mane Chance) is also always glad to have help, but they won't let you pick and choose what you do - it's all poo picking and moving horses from field to field.

Yes, whereabouts are you? In my area there are always yards advertising for helpers. Our local horse charity (Mane Chance) is also always glad to have help, but they won't let you pick and choose what you do - it's all poo picking and moving horses from field to field.

I am happy to pick poo up but of course, not all the time. I would need to learn something as well. If they are only offering me to do poo picking, then I would say no.

I am based in Portsmouth and therefore by public transport, only 4 stables that I a able to visit (by bus/train with up to 20 minutes walk)

Sadly the reality of working with horses is that you'll spend more time shovelling poo than almost anything else, though stables add variety to fields! From most stables point of view a volunteer that needs to learn things is possibly going to take more time to train than they're worth, particularly if you're only looking short term to improve your chances of getting a college place.

Reactions: PePo
If I don't get any volunteering place by March, then I will probably stick to going to University just for Event Management or photography.

To boost my university application I did a year long evening course one evening a week but I'm not sure this will be viable for you as you have to pay? Although it wasn't as much as those trips abroad you are looking at. You may be able to find a short one from Jan- July if you can afford it. I've also done voluntary work since I was 13 with animals. I was really nervous about my application still but turns out all they were really interested in was previous grades so may well be the case for you also 😂

Are there any voluntary placements nearby with any animals, a farm may have some horses or donkeys.

If you already have a basic knowledge of horses then I wouldn't worry too much about trying to find somewhere to teach you things as that's what the uni should do. Is the course practical or theory based or a mix?

I think if a stables offers you just poo picking, take it. You will learn from just being around horses. You can always ask them some questions as you go along. Also if you do an amazing job of poo picking they might consider showing you more or want help with other areas.

Do you have any practical experience of handling horses? If not, I suspect this may be partly the issue, sadly.

I suspect needing to be able to get there via public transport I'd narrowing your options.

I hope you find somewhere, good luck :)

Reactions: Huggy
Do you have any practical experience of handling horses? If not, I suspect this may be partly the issue, sadly.

I suspect needing to be able to get there via public transport I'd narrowing your options.

I hope you find somewhere, good luck :)
Everyone was 1st timer at some point - including all the girls who haven't done it and still volunteered there

They do not know how I arrived there - by public transport or not, Most volunteers are school/college girls - probably by public transport or "daddy" gave them lift

But people with no experience need training, which takes up the time of the trained staff. The girls you talk about probably went along with older girls in the holidays and picked it up from them, just as those older girls had learned too, but that isn't what you want and to be honest in this day and age most reputable places would be wary of sending a man out to learn from teenage girls even if you were looking to help in school holidays - whether or not that's fair is immaterial, it is what it is. So you're left with you, initially at least, creating more work for the staff and you aren't looking at staying long enough to make it worth their while.

Could you look at doing a stable management course, or ask for some stable management lessons at your school? And who knows, if you proved capable they may then find you something to do.

But people with no experience need training, which takes up the time of the trained staff. The girls you talk about probably went along with older girls in the holidays and picked it up from them, just as those older girls had learned too, but that isn't what you want and to be honest in this day and age most reputable places would be wary of sending a man out to learn from teenage girls even if you were looking to help in school holidays - whether or not that's fair is immaterial, it is what it is. So you're left with you, initially at least, creating more work for the staff and you aren't looking at staying long enough to make it worth their while.

Could you look at doing a stable management course, or ask for some stable management lessons at your school? And who knows, if you proved capable they may then find you something to do.
I've already done Stable Management course with them which covered many things that I can do for voluntary work. By the way, SM course isn't free.

No I wouldn't expect it to be free - why should it be? - but if you wanted hands on experience it would seem a good way of getting it even if it meant missing a couple of lessons. I think you may have to accept that, for whatever reason, the yards near you aren't looking for volunteers at the moment. Maybe you need to widen where you're looking, or reconsider what and when you're asking to do and have a think of what would make you want to take someone on as a volunteer if the roles were reversed, and indeed what may put you off.

At times when I always arrived 30-40 minutes early for a 30-minute private lesson. The poo were still there AFTER my lessons which means they have been there for at least 1 hour 10 minutes. Volunteer shortage ?!!!!! For example, on Tuesday I saw a girl doing "text checking" when I arrived and she still doing the same after my lesson - and no time for poo pickings ?!!!!

My advice is to keep trying! It can be hard to make a career change as you get older (I am doing the same thing but not with horses) but if you are determined you will find a way. Perhaps look at how you are ‘selling yourself’ and be clear about what you can offer. I’m surprised at yards turning down free labour, most round here would bite your hand off.

newrider.com