Vid of how Red is getting on

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZSUkPmr3Xs

e is really coming along nicely now :D, in walk & trot I am just working on getting him stretching is head down instead of constantly having it up in the air, which he had some really nice moments of .. its a work in progress lol, & in canter I am just working on keeping him going & not cutting corners so excuse my inside leg but he reacts better to inside leg keeping him out rather than relying on the reins :D, so yeah he is coming on great now ♥:dance:

How old is Red Maria?

It looks as though you have a long rein and Red appears to be putting his head where he wants especially to the outside.

Take up more of a contact, lower hand and to encourage to stretch down with a longer arm. Also it definitely helps me with Victory to soften and stretch if I work him slower in the trot.

Lots of circles 20m or 15m if you can manage it to encourage inside bend, slow the trot and lots of inside leg.

Hope you don't mind me putting in my opinions. I struggled with Victory softening and bending on the left rein for ages but the above advice helped us loads.

You could also try working on a 20m circle, then gradually bringing the circle in smaller (not too much though) then asking for leg yield back out to the track making sure you have inside bend when asking. Ask gradually leg yield a couple of strides then straighten then ask again.

Keep up the good work. Red is looking lovely by the way!

How old is Red Maria?

It looks as though you have a long rein and Red appears to be putting his head where he wants especially to the outside.

Take up more of a contact, lower hand and to encourage to stretch down with a longer arm. Also it definitely helps me with Victory to soften and stretch if I work him slower in the trot.

Lots of circles 20m or 15m if you can manage it to encourage inside bend, slow the trot and lots of inside leg.

Hope you don't mind me putting in my opinions. I struggled with Victory softening and bending on the left rein for ages but the above advice helped us loads.

You could also try working on a 20m circle, then gradually bringing the circle in smaller (not too much though) then asking for leg yield back out to the track making sure you have inside bend when asking. Ask gradually leg yield a couple of strides then straighten then ask again.

Keep up the good work. Red is looking lovely by the way!

Thank you, he is only 5 so still a baby, no of course I don't mind, any help is greatly welcomed as he is still VERY green, his balance is awful, though alot better than when we first started with him, I have tried doing smaller circles before but his balance has always got in the way .. but he is alot more balanced than he used to be so will try some smaller circles again, I am hoping this summer will be his year, he is such a sweetie just needs some work, but if you had saw him when I first started you wouldn't know it was the same horse .. it was a struggle to get him walking in a straight line & he had NEVER cantered under saddle, so he has came a long way .. but still a long way to go

Well done Maria - he is looking great - slowly, slowly catchee monkey - very true when it comes to green young horses IMO.:wink:

That's fine thought he was young. Take your time with him he's lovely!

yeah, taking everything very slowly, been riding him for around a year now, to start it was just getting him stopping/starting when I ask him to not just when he wants to, then had a few short bursts of canter at the end of the summer .. then from october'ish till a month or two ago all we done was hacking hacking hacking, once or twice a week, apart form that he was basically left out to grow up a bit, only just started schooling again in the last couple of weeks & boy what a difference in him, he has matured alot over the winter, he now picks up canter almost everytime I ask .. still not got fabulous balance but yeah he is getting there :inlove:, he tries so hard for me though he really does, I don't always school him sometimes we just go out a plod which he really enjoys :biggrin:, try to find new places to hack to, found a path through the trees the other day but not been there yet as it was rather windy & wet that day :giggle:, really looking forward to this summer with him :dance:

Well done Maria - he is looking great - slowly, slowly catchee monkey - very true when it comes to green young horses IMO.:wink:

yeah I agree, I've seen to many young horses rushed .. espesh one I used to ride, wasn't my choice on what to do with him (I was only maybe 13 ? & used ot get stuck on all the youngsters as I had a "sticky bum") .. kept being stuck in lessons .. trainer stuck a jump up far to high, it was a cross so it ended up REALLY narrow .. horse got his legs caught up in the poles, fell, I flew into the fence .. he gave himself a right fright .. & even now .. 5-6 years later .. that horse is STILL scared of cross poles :(,

Yes take him for some lovely hacks. I hate seeing a horse that only sees the four walls of the school and has no chill out time to see the other side of the fence!

Well done you for your patient approach.

Yes take him for some lovely hacks. I hate seeing a horse that only sees the four walls of the school and has no chill out time to see the other side of the fence!

Well done you for your patient approach.

yeah I hate being stuck in the school too :redcarded:, I would much rather go out for a long hack even just walking, I miss when me & my yard friends just used to tack up the ponies & go for a big long hack out to the middle of nowhere :inlove:, I don't really know my way about where Red is kept or where we are & aren't allowed to go, so our hacks are fairly short but we are finding some new places now :biggrin:

newrider.com