Victorian side saddle value?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
I have very kindly been offered a Victorian side saddle to sell for my animal rescue fundraising. I haven't seen it yet but I am told it is in very good condition.

Has anyone the slightest idea what something like this might be worth please? I don't want to list it on my page and ask too much, and I don't want to under value it and lose valuable funds for the rescues.

Many thanks :)

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Oh wow! I knew they could be very expensive, but I had imagined that would be new models etc. I was hoping even a couple of hundred would be fantastic......anymore and it would make a huge difference for the rescue as we are now coming into winter, always the most difficult time for them. :D I will certainly research it carefully when I have it here and thanks for the link Kite_Rider, I will contact them when I am certain what I have.:eek:

Oh wow! I knew they could be very expensive, but I had imagined that would be new models etc. I was hoping even a couple of hundred would be fantastic......anymore and it would make a huge difference for the rescue as we are now coming into winter, always the most difficult time for them. :D I will certainly research it carefully when I have it here and thanks for the link Kite_Rider, I will contact them when I am certain what I have.:eek:
Oooh good luck with it, I hope you make lots for your charity. :D

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I believe the newer ones are generally less sought after and of less value than the old ones, is it @Sunshine-x that does side saddle? hell I'm terrible with names, but has the lovely big grey and was in downton abbey in the cross country race......

Of course! - Sunshine-x why on earth didn't I think of her - she is on my Facebook friends list I shall contact her for an opinion when I have it here to describe it accurately. Thanks Jessey :D

I've had two saddles.
One was a 1920's, sold privately to the instructor for £800. She restored and sold for £1200.

My 1898 one I sold to a museum for £100. That was because it needed so much doing to restore, it wasn't worth doing.
I did enjoy tracing back when it was made, for who though. I still have the keepsake found in the pocket. :)

I hope it fetches a lot for you.

I've had a few over the years found in the oddest of places. A couple were servicable and cleaned up
very nice and took one to a riding lesson years ago. OMG the whole barn we had a great time that day.
The instructor put it on a very calm sane horse and we all tried it out !!!
The biggest thing we came out of that" sort of lesson "that day was "A GREAT RESPECT
FOR PEOPLE VERY CONFIDENT RIDING SIDESADDLE!!!"
It certainly is a different feel for sure. I don't think Id ever be confident on the flat let alone the photos you
see of people jumping in one.

I have a really really old NOT servicable at all one but its just so pretty and interesting.
Its got quilted shammy on parts of it - its too far gone to ever try to restore to rideable condition and
to do that would loose all its lovely charm.

newrider.com