Vibes for Ale

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
He wasn't right when I got to the yard a couple of hours ago, was eating his hay slowly. I watched him and then he went and layed down, got up, layed down again. Normal poos last night but he hadn't drunk. Watched him for a bit longer and just standing quietly or laying down. Rang vet for advice and they have said monitor. Got him in and walked him round the school where he was passing some gas. He doesn't look particularly gassy. Not trying to roll in the school and not rolling just laying down in field. Put him in a box where he went to lay down then changed his mind. He's done a poo and a wee since I got here this morning. He's now standing with his head quietly over the stable door. Back to having some interest in hay again. I'm going to have to go to work soon but just waiting for the yard owner to get here. Vet on standby if needed. Fingers crossed everyone please

seems to be common at the moment, we have had two bouts of it with Buddy recently, gassy, just not right, then fine again. Hope he is ok. Buddy had another one last weekend, came in, gassy, got vet out, he passed a poo and was much better and fine next day.

Reactions: MrA
Hope ale will be ok.

Its got to be the grass after the rain. My two have been gassy. There poos are really grass coloured and wet at present.

Crazy as he doesn't even look gassy. I didn't give him a particularly big strip of hay last night either. I'm wondering if I should give him hay first, then the new strip of grass. Thanks everyone. Poos looked good last few days, not sloppy or anything.

Depends i guess how your managing him. He will always go for the fresh grass strip first over the hay in summer. But if your going twice a day. Then i would move fence one time and top hay out the other visit.
Equally is it possible to split your fresh strip into two and move less distance but twice a day. So hes less likely to gorge.

Depends i guess how your managing him. He will always go for the fresh grass strip first over the hay in summer. But if your going twice a day. Then i would move fence one time and top hay out the other visit.
Equally is it possible to split your fresh strip into two and move less distance but twice a day. So hes less likely to gorge.
I already do the hay in the morning and then fresh strip in the evening. I might start doing small amount of hay and then move fresh strip a tiny bit twice a day instead. Thank you

Yard owner has said he's looking fine, done 2 more poos. Off back to the yard soon as I've done the essentials at work and will come in tomorrow to do anything else

Reactions: Jessey
Kicking myself should have just got then out earlier, the wait is always so long for them to get here isn't it. He's just laying quietly right now thank goodness. Last time he colic he thrashed about like crazy

Sending you lots of good vibes. To me it sounds more like a colic than gassy, particularly if brisk walking didn't ease it and there aren't lots of loud gut noises. I hope the vet gets there soon, I know what you mean because I always felt like 5 minutes was an hour when waiting.

Thanks everyone, vets shouldn't be long, he's done another poo, 4th since this morning and seems more settled again now, just standing resting a leg. Some loud gut noises!

Loud gut noises can often indicate gassy, fingers crossed the vet will examine him and say lunge him briskly to try and break up the gas build up x

Vet reckons a soft impaction where the gut narrows due to not drinking enough. This has led to some gas build up. Meds and tubed 10l of water into him and so everything crossed it passes. He's being starved until he does 2 more good poos, then just wet hay for a bit. I always monitor Ales water intake and he's been drinking the normal amount, slightly less yesterday and then none overnight. Typical I cleaned out the trough yesterday morning, maybe should have just left it

Oh gosh Ale I’m sorry, I’ve only just seen this, glad the vets been and he seems to be on the mend now. More vibes for a full and speedy recovery xx

(((hugs))). A soft impaction should, now the vet's tubed him, clear and then the gas build up will hopefully sort itself out. The weather has been so up and down that there are probably quite a few of this type of colic about at the moment but many go unnoticed so well done for spotting it and acting. It's not just the amount they drink, the grass here has gone drier, ones on poor grass are needing hay and also horses that are being worked are sweating more as they aren't used to it being warm again - the combination of factors can catch anyone out because even if they're drinking as much as normal it may not be enough. As for the water trough, well that may or may not be a factor - Little Un will guzzle from a clean trough or freshly scrubbed bucket whereas Jim would be convinced it was a trick to poison him. If a trough was going to be scrubbed I'd take out a couple of big tubs of "dirty" water and leave out for him, likewise I would leave a couple of days between cleaning water tubs in the stable.

Lots more vibes on the way, and a big hug for you - don't beat yourself up x

Hopefully the treatment works quickly. Its funny how they can be off about different water and get themselves in a pickle over it, perhaps for future trough cleanings it might be worth leaving a bucket of the old water out alongside until he gets used tot he change. I'd never know that quickly if one of mine wasn't drinking as they share a big 1000l trough (though they get salt in their feed so they all normally have a big drink right after eating so I'd notice if they didn't do that), I scrub and refill it about every 2 weeks though and it wouldn't have crossed my mind that they might not like it fresh.

newrider.com