Veterinary treatment 1908

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
Another snippet from my grandfather's army book on Animal Management.

The chapter on prevention and first aid treatment of disease is one where there is a big difference between then and now. True, the sections on the appearance of health and general nursing are pretty much the same, but the suggested treatments pre-date so many of the developments we take for granted now. Turpentine appears to have been used a lot:eek:

Anyway, I thought you might like to see (if the pic comes out clearly) the diagram showing the contents of the Field Veterinary Chest issued to Units on Service.

P1000438.jpg

The book is fascinating. Can you imagine having to manage like that.?

I love the James Herriot stories, they proper make me laugh out loud, but he so often brings up how grateful he is for antibiotics and many other 'new fangled' medicines. Dont appreciate how lucky we are. I know neither of my children or I would be here if they'd have been born 25 years ago.

Some of that stuff - what on earth is it? Whats tow? or physic balls? The mind boggles!

Physic ball

I wondered that...googled as follows:

Physic ball see purging ball

purging (purj´ing),
n an effort to rid the body of food by vomiting or taking laxatives or diuretics.
Mosby's Dental Dictionary, 2nd edition. © 2008 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

purging
pertaining to purge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

purging ball
a bolus given periodically to horses by owners and trainers in the belief that a good clean-out is good for a horse, especially if it is racing poorly. Usually contains aloes; 7 to 14 g (2 to 4 drachms) is the usual dose. Anthraquinone purgatives are more reliable in their action but the procedure is basically empirical and is not recommended by veterinarians. Called also physic ball.

newrider.com