Vet coming out YET again.......

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I don't believe Joe's bad luck!!!!!!!! He cut his leg after the farrier had been on Monday, I thought all was ok, I treated it with sudocreme after cleaning it etc, and things looked ok. Went into his box today and it was like a bloomin balloon:eek: Now I don't know if its the fact that he lost a shoe a week ago (same leg) and he's now got an abcess or something:confused: or is it the cut that has gone bad:confused: Plus, last night, OH made the decision not to ride him as his back appears to be sore:rolleyes: He really doesn't like it being touched or pressed firmly. Oh dear. Please send me some good luck vibes. Vet coming out at 4.30 today. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the good wishes! His cut was just above the hoof on the inside of this leg - don't know if its that thats making the leg swollen, or the fact that he lost a shoe last week (vet told us to keep an eye out for any heat). Farrier put the shoe back on - and it seemed ok, so not really sure whats the cause! Oh - and his back is sore too!!!!! Poor Joe, just not his year so far......

sounds liek it may be that cellulitis thing... thug got it and was great the day after he'd had some anti biotics
hope its a simple thing like that
xx and hugs to Joe

Hope it is something simple! Poor Joe, really really really hoping no box rest - poor lamb has already spent the last 5 months in a box (apart from the odd hour here and there when he was in good health!). I thought he'd really been enjoying his new freedom in the field since coming home - just hope its not gonna be short lived! Will keep you posted!!! (I will tell him his NR friends have asked after him - I'm sure he'll understand!!!!)

How did it go with the vet? I hope it was nothing too serious?
Given just how much bad luck he has lad of late perhaps a short course of Echineacia would be in order - just to give him immune system a boost, it used to help phoenix no end when he was down :p

Well vet came out Friday night (again) and bandaged Joe's leg - it was very swollen - he gave him an injection of antibiotic and a two day course - pooor Joe, he must be like a seive by now with all the jabs he seems to get!! Anyway, bandage off now - still quite puffy, but vet gave me some silver spray to put on it. He's not in any pain with it - not showing any signs of lameness now thank goodness!!! Honestly, it is just one thing after another at the moment!!! OH walked sedately around the field on him last night - Storm and I followed (well, Storm jogged!). Joe seemed to quite enjoy himself - he was remarkably calm - considering there was a field full of little woolly lambs next door hopping around......!!!
Thanks for all the good wishes! I passed them onto Joe - NR has healing qualities!!!

Edited to add: swelling gone down much more this morning - hurray!!!

Thanks Jessey - he's had lots of hugs from NR folk lately! He's back to full strength now I'm pleased to say, we had a wonderful short hack yesterday - he behaved impeccably and so did Storm! yaye for us!!! (To be honest I think it was the warmth of the sun that slowed them both up !!!!) His leg looks fine again - thank goodness..... And Storm even coped with some new cows that have appeared and she didn't run away from the new lambs that have come recently - so all in all, me thinks they are getting more and more used to their new home!

newrider.com