Vet Coming Again Tomorrow

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Well after Tobes hanging himself off the stable bolt issue, I am having the vet back out again tomorrow.

I want them to x-ray him. He appears to be dropping one hip when he is walking down the track, I think more than he was after he got over his initial nearly falling over stage.

YO tells me he has been galloping about madly for the last three days. This I take with a massive pinch of salt. She is a drama queen and until today I have seen no mud up his legs which would indicate he hasn't as the fields are like a bog, and if he has been galloping about he would have mud up his legs. Today when I got him in, he actually did, so, yes, I think today he has.

The day he injured himself, he was bucking sideways when the vet came. I think this must be pain related. YO appears to think he can't be that sore if he is galloping around, but I am inclined to think it is a pain issue. I might be wrong, but seems peculiar he was bucking sideways the day he injured himself and was very wobbly on his feet and today I noticed he was hitching that hip down the track and he has been galloping around.

Does anyone have any experience? Is it likely that pain could cause him to do this? I brought him in tonight. It was hugely windy and he walked up the track like a little angel, barely spooking at anything. So not like he was on one really.

They do run away from pain so I'd say it's possible that the galloping and bucking could be pain related. Definitely worth getting him checked out.

I do love it when people say your horse its fine its galloping about!
I did get this comment and no she isn't fine, she has strained a ligament. Horses will run with a broken leg, so I take these comments like you, pinch of salt. It means nothing and a horse is a horse, it runs about.

I think now any bruising has subsided, for my own piece of mind I would xray the wither/vertebrae?
Though they can only xray certain places, depending on whether you are off to Bristol or not. I believe the pelvis is too dense a bone to see anything. As you have a tendon issue, is it possible that he has transfered some weight away from that to?
The dropping the hip could be a sore muscle where he has compensated, I will need sports massage for my lass, maybe its muscle in your case to?

I think an xray or scan of the poll will be interesting. Although bruising will be subsiding by now, pulled ligaments and torn muscles can take a lot longer to heal. Hopefully the dipping hip is just a result of moving so stiffly the first few days and will resolve with a massage.

Well, all of you are right. She didn't x ray, but did a lot of flexion and circling and bending, and feels that because he has been out of work for a while (due to tendon) that the hitching of the hip is probably an older issue but that now his muscle is not as tight it is showing up. Am inclined to think that fighting and then collapsing on the floor hasn't helped. He is also tighter one side than the other.

So back lady definitely to see him, and I also have to long rein him she says - safer to do this whilst he is getting his muscles back together than ride him. This will be interesting as neither Tobes or I have long reined and we don't have a school to practice in either!! Still, I am sure we will get the hang of it!

So shall just have to continue harassing the back lady til I get an appointment.

Hope Tilley is improving.

Fingers crossed thats all it is. I hope the long lineing goes well, a lead person can help alot the first time or two.

newrider.com