Vet again for Ales eye, and AGAIN

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
It's been going on a month now. Not really sure what's going on.

There's barely anything noticeable just a fleck on his cornea and watering more than usual but it just doesn't quite look right to me.

Hoping for some reassurance when the vet comes tomorrow. We shall see.

You’re right to get the vet back out if you’re worried about it. Could he have caught it on a twig or something and scratched the cornea?

Reactions: MrA
Yeah its not worth messing about with eyes, hopefully the fleck is just an age thing and the watering is just one of those things and all nothing to worry about, fingers crossed :)

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
2 small ulcers and possibility he has built up resistance to the antibiotics in the drops he was on, so different drops and hopefully they'll clear up soon!

A good job you got it checked again, and I hope these drops do the job quickly. It always horrifies me how many people try to treat eyes without getting a vet, they can go catastrophically wrong so quickly yet far to often the reaction seems to be wash it with a tea bag & it'll be fine.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
A good job you got it checked again, and I hope these drops do the job quickly. It always horrifies me how many people try to treat eyes without getting a vet, they can go catastrophically wrong so quickly yet far to often the reaction seems to be wash it with a tea bag & it'll be fine.

This is exactly advice that I have been given in the past. Like a tea bag will solve everything!

Fingers crossed the new drops do the trick (currently in poorly horse hell myself, with a horse that isn’t responding to any treatment they’ve come up with so far :rolleyes: ) Hope Ale is a more obliging patient :)

Buffy has had the same sort of thing too, the vet came out with some details and it is clearing up now but took a few weeks ! She’d scratched her cornea.

The vets also did a blood test for cushings and it turns out she does have cushings. The vet said this may be a factor towards the eye taking so long to heal :-(

This is exactly advice that I have been given in the past. Like a tea bag will solve everything!
I'm a tea bag user if the situation is appropriate, I don't see a problem with first aid, if it doesn't work I'd always investigate further with a vet :) a simple watery eye on a windy day, when flies are bad or if there's been a dust storm doesn't warrant an emergency vet call IMO if there are no other symptoms.

Reactions: Huggy and MrA
Really pleased I got them back out again yes, this was their third visit now. Last time they just said continue for longer and it had been clearing up, but just got to a point where it wasn't making any improvement at all.

Reactions: Jessey
Had them out again today, yesterday it looked back to normal and had stopped weeping, this morning he was really sensitive to my head torch and looked very sore again. Put drops in and when I came back later for the vet it had improved again but was still concerned.

Vet thinks it's heading in the right direction. It didn't take up any of the green dye suggesting it is no longer an ulcer, but instead he thinks it's just sensitive and is scarred. Continuing with drops for another week and increasing them to 3x daily.

Just hoping it clears up as next action doesn't sound good at all!

Maybe you already are, but putting a fly mask on can help. It gives them relief from any bright sun - may not be a problem at the moment! - and also some protection against wind.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Actually I think the fly mask is a good idea. It might be that ale is rubbing it on something in the field so a fly mask might protect.

Healing vibes to your lovely lad and hugs for you.
My best yard friend always uses a fly mask on her lad, he’s got something I don’t remember the name of it but he’s very sensitive to sunlight and particularly cold winds.
Everything crossed he picks up soon Ale x

newrider.com