Very very excited, Dan Wilson is coming out to Joey

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
I'm so excited, Dan Wilson is coming out on Saturday to do some work with Joey. Dan for those who don't know rides for Monty Roberts and now part owns a company called Practical Horsemanship and he is based in Devon.
He is going to spend the day with Joe trying to get to the bottom of his issues and attempt to resolve as many as he can for us.
Bit of a pointless thread but had to share:D:D

Ooooh pics would be nice!!!

Saw a Monty demo, dont follow his stuff (or any NH) but the solving of issues is great no matter how its done!!!

What is he going to work on??

Nikki xxxx:)

He's brilliant, always works for the horse, doesnt just stick to a,b,c. Will throw in a f,n,e if need be, unlike alot or trainers. You'll love it.

(psst, he's in cornwall, just round the corner from me!!)

I met Dan a few months ago and asked if he'd be able to come out and help Joey but because of Loki we didn't get a chance until now.

Joey has several physchological issues. His main issues are trust.
He has a huge phobia of his hind legs being touched and will drop to the floor, soil himself, shake, rear, bolt etc if they are touched. I have tried touching them with a glove on a stick etc but nothing i've tried has worked.

He can be incredibly aggressive and challenging and will rear,bite, corner people and strike out if he is anxious

He doesn't understand personal space and if you attempt to move him out of your space it causes explosions.

he has developed a phobia of being stabled and will get through the door spin round jump over anyone in the way and bolt. If oyu manage to get him in and shut the door he will rear strike out and kick the walls. He will keep this up and doesn't calm just becomes more distressed.

He is incredibly worried about anyone touching his head and any pressure on his head or anyone touching his head causes an aggressive reaction which makes bridling and even putting a headcollar on difficult.

He is worried about people mounting and although he is an angel to mount and ride he looks for something to crib as soon as he is tacked up and will stand there cribbing with his eyes pinched shut.

Joey basically has a lot of memories and problems which obviously haunt him. I don't know whats happened to him and although he has progressed Hugely in the time I've had him we just need a little extra help to help him get there a bit quicker to enable him to be the calm loving horse I know is inside.
He has had absolutely everything checked including rig tests (he is very colty) but all is fine and so it is all in his head.

Dan bless him is going to attempt to work with as much of it as possible

How exciting, i think Dan and Grant are great. I took my 3yr old pony to their demo at the Royal Show this year for starting. My pony had been well handled but had never had a saddle on, been lunged, long reined or sat on. They were in the round pen with her for roughly 45 mins and at the end my pony was being ridden around by Dan as quiet as a lamb off the lead rein. I will be sending her back to Grant next summer to continue her education with the team. I was very impressed as she can be a drama queen at times:)

newrider.com