very sharp dressage horse

showjumperchick

Oct 17, 2003
melton mowbray, leicester
Visit site
ok,due to kyri a)being lame, b) refusing to jump water c)rearing like a devil im not jumping at the moment,if ever again, totally lost my confidence over jumps. enter russel (aka mr fuzzy) my mums dressage horse. as my mum cant ride at the mo iv taken over his schooling. he's just had a new saddle after we found out the old one was pinching, and he has changed beyond belief!used to be quiet,almost ploddy,dead to the leg, really hard work, now he is hot to the point of lunacy! he goes everywhere at full speed-is obviously feeling a bit well. the problem is that if i apply any leg at all he shoots off in canter and gets very buzzy and excited, so trying to work him properly, do any lateral work or even transitions is proving a bit difficult. are their any specific exercises i can do to get him to accept the leg a bit more? im glad he's not sore anymore but i would like to be able to ride him!!!!!

Unfortunately this is one of the area's that you just have to "go there"
You cant teach them to accept more leg, unless you put more leg on.
The way i start it, is in walk....Slowly apply pressure, bit by bit. Close the hand so he cant shoot off, but not too much hand that it becomes a backward walk either. Add more and more pressure, trying to find out how much he can take.
Keep it a nice walk. Do this in all the gaits. But only go onto the next level when he understands the previous one.

:)

newrider.com