Very Sad - Magic going to be PTS

Soupdragon

Mar 14, 2005
Leeds
After months of toing and froing with Magic, and bone scans, several visits to vet school, corrective shoeing and so on, I have taken the hard and painful decision to have him PTS. I don't expect all of you to agree with this and please it isn't going to help me to be criticised. It has been a tough decision and I have been in tears for days now.

He has arthritis in both hind legs and in a front foot. He isn't the sort of horse who can be used just for hacking - he has unpredictable explosive moments. He didn't respond well to bute, supplements - seemed to have no effect on him. I have thought about rehoming him as a companion but it's so hard to trust where he's going to end up. He's also quite a dominant natured horse and likes to be field boss. Horse sanctuaries will only help in neglect/abuse cases.

I can't afford to keep him as a field ornament.

At the end of the day I don't want him to go on a downward spiral. So he is going to have a few days play in the field and a lovely meal, and then be PTS.

Don't know if I will be posting again but I know some of you have been following Magic's progress so thought I would let you know.

I think you have given him every chance, only you can appreciate what quality of life he will have. I am sure you have made a brave and honest assessment of him and are fully aware of his prognosis.

I can appreciate how tough and emotional it has been for you, it is never easy.

Well, I, haven't been following his story, but I think that if there is nothing else that can be done to help and you think this is the best for him, then it's what you have to do. It's such a heart breaking decision and I know how hard it is.

Lots of hugs hun, and a big slobbery lick from Fly, Poppy and I'm sure Harley too, if he's not too busy eating his big round of hay. :)

xx Socks

Oh crumbs, I have been following your story with interest and I'm so sorry that it has ended like this. If you can take any comfort from the situation, then take the fact that you have done absolutely everything within your powers to try to solve his problems, and that ultimately, he would probably have been in pain, which is not fair on any animal.

I can't possibly imagine how you are feeling just at this time, but you have made an incredibly brave and responsible decision, and one that I hope we can all make when the time comes.

{{hugs}}

I havn't read any posts about Magic but I feel sorry for you. If you think it's the best decission then it must be because you know him the best. Hope you enjoy your last few days together.

(*(*(*hugs*)*)*)

maz
xxx

I am so sorry. You have made a very brave decision to stop his suffering for the sake of not being able to say goodbye.

All my love xxx

(((((hugs))))) You have our support, post whenever you need to. It's so hard to accept things can't be changed - you're being very brave. Thinking of you.

Just to echo the other comments - you have made an incredibly brave decision. You know Magic best, and you're being very responsible about his situation. I'm really really sorry, please take care. Thinkng of you xxx

So sad to read your posting about your decision to have your pony put down. My thoughts will be with you, so I'm sending you good vibes. Hope they help!
{{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}

I can't imagine how painful this is for you. I hope you can find some comfort in the fact that you have given him many wonderful last months and that he has been fortunate to be in the care of a person who puts his best interests at heart, even when it hurts so bad.

My thoughts are with you.

You've made the hardest but best decision any caring owner can make for an animal. Your horse's best interests were the centre of that decision and you simply cannot be condemned for it. What an awful decision it is too, many of us have been there, be it horse, dog, cat or another much loved animal member of our family :(

Thinking of you at this difficult time :(

I'm so sorry about your situation. I know excactly how you feel (I was in a very similar situation 10yrs ago). It broke my heart like I know yours is right now.

Please don't beat yourself up for having made this decision ok?

Also, don't stop posting please? NR is a big circle of friends, like a virtual family.

(((((((((((((((((Big Warm Canadian Hug from myself & the mares))))))))))))))

Soup Dragon - there is no way anyone on here can ever criticise you for the decision you are making. I have been following Magic's story. You have shown complete and utter faithfulness to him even under such strain. There are a lot of people out there who would of just sold him on and given the next owner the worries/problems you are going through. You have stood by him and loved him. You will be heartbroken to lose him but you are making the best decision. I am just so sorry this is the decision you have had to make. I wish to offer you all my support and hugs for "The day". May your tears soon be cries of happiness and fond memories of Magic. I cannot speak anymore because it is just upsetting me thinking about what you are going through. So I have to just leave you with massive *****HUGS*****.:(

Like many others I've followed your journey with Magic. Just wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you. Don't stay away too long

I think you have made a very brave decision, I think it is a good decision but a hard one, horses are expensive to keep, at least this way you are protecting him for the future, you know he is happy with you and will have gone in peace, like you say we can never guarentee what will happen to our beloved animals if they are with someone else, sometimes doing the best thing is the hardest thing in the world, my thoughts and hugs are with you,

I am very sorry. I have read your threads and always been impressed with both your bravery and committment. Poor you and poor Magic. Just remember that you didn't make this situation, but you have been responsible enough to face up to it. Don't stop posting - this is a forum for support and hopefull can help you just a little bit through this difficult time.

Magic

Soupdragon, my heart goes out to you. I know what a painful decision it is. You are doing the best for Magic and it is a brave, brave person who makes that decision not a selfish one.

You will probably be doubting yourself and feeling that you are doing the wrong thing, don't. It is the best for Magic and for you, knowing that he will at least be free from pain and suffering. You have tried your very, very best for him and giving him peace and freedom to run around free from pain and suffering. Give him a cuddle and enjoy your last few days with him.

Take care of yourself.

Lisa x

newrider.com