Various Queries about re-flocking a saddle

jcagrove

Apr 28, 2006
Berkshire
I have recently sold my Jessica Dressage Saddle and the new owner is querying holes that are on the panel, in the soft leather by the stirrup bars, I was told by the original owner of the saddle that these were for re-flocking and nothing to worry about.

I have talked to a couple of saddlers who seem to back this up, but just wondered if this is normal and how small / large is the norm for the holes. Any help would be very benefical as they buyer is now talking about taking me to court for misrepresentation for not mentioning the holes and doesn't seem to believe me.

Also, how often do people find that their saddle needs re-flocked and what is the normal cost?

Cheers,

Julie

I have no idea, but if saddlers have said they are meant to be there then I would politely suggest she talks to a saddler.
I just had my big dressage saddle re flocked, it cost me £60 for a complete new flock.

j x

I was about to start a thread similar to yours. I'm really interested in finding out how they reflock a saddle & how often can it be done?

Jessey: does yours have little holes like jcagrove's saddle?

If I'm honest I can't remember, but I am pretty sure it does, I will look and report back later :D

Funny how you posted this! I am going to be selling my saddle and found little cuts up by where the girth straps are attached. I thought it was damage until I saw it the same on the other side. So as far as I'm aware it must have been done by a saddler when reflocking as the two sides are identical.

One of the saddlers told me that sometimes these slits are there from manufacture - and arent' neccessarily caused by another saddler- I have sent an email to the manufacturer to find out what they say and will report back - they are away till next Monday. If you didn't know better you might think it was damage or a fault (like my purchaser).

Last edited:
Say... this is Galadriel's site! She's on NR. Many people have mentioned it but I don't think I've ever been on it officially :eek:

For young horses or horses in heavy training, it should be reflocked every 6 months to follow the changing shape of the horses back. Otherwise, once a year - all according to my saddler who's a Master Saddler.

If you could get something in writing from a/your saddler stating that the slits do not interfere with the function of the saddle and that they are only there as a result of the flocking, it may help the situation. Especially if it comes to court.

Thanks, unfortunately I'm down South and the saddle is now up North, so I am having to try and build my case away from it! But if needs be, I'll find an independent saddler up North.

My current saddle is a Bates Caprilli with Cair (air panels). I bought it brand new, and it has these slits you talk about. They are just next to where the girth straps attach to the webbing.
I've also sold saddles for friends on ebay, and most of them had these slits as well. I never bothered mentioning them in the description as they are a feature on so many saddles. No one has ever complained.

English saddles are made with these holes. There are more of them on top of the panels where they can't be seen, but can be felt. These holes are used to flock the saddle initially when it is manufactured, as well as to adjust the saddle once it's been purchased. The saddle fitter uses a "flocking iron" (a long thin steel implement) to reach in through the holes and adjust, add, or (rarely) take out flocking as necessary.

Someone with questions about these holes can go find a tack shop and examine all the English saddles there. Every one of them should have holes in the top of the panels somewhere, although some may be harder to find.

Saddles should be checked for adjustment regularly. A small change in a horse's back can make a very big difference to the way an English saddle fits. Horses' backs change over time: as they mature, as they grow older, as they gain muscle from work, as they gain weight from summer grazing. A saddle that starts out fitting well can often be adjusted to fit the horse many times.

A horse may be a touch stronger on one side, and so more muscled. A person may ride a touch heavily to one side. Either of these can make the stuffing pack down harder on onee side, and so getting your saddle checked regularly means keeping on top of that, too. A saddle which is too unevenly packed down can become twisted and really hurt your horse.

English saddles are made to be adjusted the minute you buy them. They're slightly understuffed at first to allow for adjustments after purchase. They also may be unevenly stuffed due to slight carelessness on the part of the manufacturer--which can be easily adjusted when you first get the saddle, but which can be a serious pain in the neck once the flocking has begun to pack down. Uneven flocking (ie, lumps or too-light stuffing, bridging, etc) also causes the horse discomfort and muscle damage until it is fixed.

Thanks Galadriel and by the way the info on your website is really useful - especially as you've included pictures.

Cheers,

Julie

newrider.com