Variety is the spice of life!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I've got a dressage teacher who is extremely skilled at what she does. So when I go to lessons with her, my aim is to listen and learn. I am using the Buck Brannaman DVD series to start Caspar and when he says things, my aim is to listen and learn. When I was at the Mark Rashid clinic my aim was to listen and learn.

My RI gets a lot of people questioning her methods - not in a 'I don't understand, please explain' way but in a 'why don';t you do it like.....' way. At the Mark Rashid clinic there were SOOO many questions not seeking clarification but asking him why he did/didnt do it a different way. Why aren't you bitless etc.

I don't go to lessons to tell teachers what they should/shouldn't be doing or to ask why they don't do it a different way. Should I be more questioning? Or should others be more open to different ways of doing things. In the end I will make up my own mind but I think that in someone else's classroom it is basic courtesy to let them teach the way they teach..... I can always choose to not go back if it didn't seem a useful lesson!

I think its sometimes useful to ask why they don't use x method, they might tell you a very valid reason like it complicates another movement further down the line or something, but I don't go to a lesson to question like that all the way through, you've generally picked that person to teach you for good reason :p

newrider.com