Vaccinations and Competing

ISH

I should be studying...
Aug 14, 2006
Good Ol' Blighty
I want to do some Dressage with my mare this year and so got her first vaccination today against 'flu. She hadn't got any vaccinations when I bought her, and at the time I wasn't planning on going anywhere, so just got tetanus done. I've been advised that after her first injection today, she needs another in 6 weeks time then a third in 6 months time.

My question is: would it be OK to take her out competing after she's had her 2nd injection? My YO said that would be fine but just wanted other opinions too. I will be clarifying it with event organiser nearer the time too.

Under riding club rules which seem to be the strictest you can compete 7 days after the second jab has been given.I would think that Bsja,BD and BE will probably be the same.

I'd be going to my local riding school. My YO said that most places around here don't usually ask to see the passport, it just tends to be the bigger places, but she said they may at the riding school.

Have you found RS's tend to be stricter? This place is BHS approved.

I'm aiming for the 13th of May as will be too late for the April test now :( Though the good thing is her 2nd injection will have been done in plenty of time then.

Here are the Riding club rules, Think they are pretty much the same for all affiliated
Each horse or pony competing in an area qualifier must:

have a valid vaccination certificate which undeniably relates to that horse , completed, signed and stamped on each line by a veterinary surgeon, who is not the owner of the animal.

It must state that:
the horse has had two injections for primary vaccination against equine influenza given no less than 21 days and no more than 92 days apart. ( only these first two injections ned to have been given before the horse may compete).

A first booster must have been given no less than 150 days and no more than 215 days after the second injection of the primary vaccination.

Subsequent booster injections must be given at intervals of not more than 1 year apart commencing after the first booster injection.

None of these injections must have been given within the preceding 7 days of the competition, including the day of the competition or entry into the competition stables.

The vaccination certificate must ,under penalty of elimination, accompany the horse to all official competitions and the competitor is responsible for producing it on demand.

newrider.com