Utterly devastated :(

Poor you I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. One after the other by the sounds of things. Due to your situation at the moment I think the best you can do is try and check on him as frequently as possible. Is it not possible to find someone you know that may have a stable you could use? Or perhaps the yard (I may have read wrong, are you on a yard?) would be happy to negotiate?

I really feel for you, what a shame. I suppose you have to do what's best for Mack, but that doesn't make it any easier on you.

I lost my boy when he was only 9 - a freak accident in the field which resulted in a fractured pedal bone that never healed. I was utterly devastated and although 4 years ago and the pain has dulled, it never goes away.

I know Mack's not being PTS but having to give him up will be just as traumatic. I really feel for you and your sis but at least you know if someone else takes him on he'll get the care he needs which will ease your conscience.

I can't think of anything else to say, just that I'm thinking of you and hope you get the situation sorted as best you can. Perhaps after a while you'll get another, perhaps not. I always swore I wouldn't, but I am getting another one soon. I miss it too much.

You poor things. How awful. Is there absolutely no options available ? No yards where you could work for his livery ?

What about muzzling him ? Creating a drylot for him within his field ?

If you do have to rehome at least you are thinking of him entirely and not yourselves which makes you very very admirable people.

Is he turned out at the mo? Do you have a field shelter you could turn into a stable?

If worst comes to worst, what about contacting a sanctuary?

wouldnt it be better to find another yard which has diy or even part livery? I am sure you would find it to be more money manageable and you could please yourself whether he was in or out. We have two horses and certainly wouldnt be able to afford full livery at that price per week and we both work full time

Im really sorry hun, im sure something woill come up in the meantime.

Im going to be at the yard most nights when Lady moves there, so I can cast an eye over him and see if he is ok?

WIth OCD isn't it preferred to keep them on minimal exercise? So to box rest them? SO that DIY livery yard would be ideal. Turn him out for a couple of hours a day and have him stabled the rest?

Sorry if ive got the wrong end of the stick or thinking of a completely different disease

I'm really sorry to hear about your boy.

I doubt that grass in winter will affect the OCD, I think its made worse by force feeding youngsters to make them mature faster. You will probably be OK until the spring grass comes through. If not you might be able to put him in a smaller area with electric fencing. OCD is hereditary from what I've read and affects a massive amount of warmbloods and thoroughbreds many of which go on to have great careers without many more problems.

Just a point though, some insurance companies cover it. Mine, KBIS, do.

Panic not, winter is a coming and the grass is going to lose all its fizz. you can feed him last years hay. A grazing muzzle will , most likely, be a temporary measure.

I am a great beleiver in time for things like that, time and gentle movement.

You are going over the coals atm aren't you.

I hope everything works out for you. Hopefully with a grazing muzzle for the next few weeks and then with the winter coming, it will all work out ok. You obviously have his best interests in mind, so I really hope it goes well for you both
xx

OMG- i just read all this thread and was really upset for you then saw your last post!!!:D
Thats brilliant, you must be so happy- what actually is ocd? I dont think i've ever heard of it?
And as for being a drama queen- well you should have heard me recently:eek:
I'm really pleased for you xxx

newrider.com