Using What I have Learned

B W

Jul 10, 2001
NC
Visit site
Without knowing it, I used Natural Horsemanship today. I was lucky enough to be able to go with some people to get an underfed mare and foal. The mare had a halter but the 4 mo old foal had never been touched. The goal: to get mama and baby in the trailer and take them to their new loving home. The lady at the house was not happy at our slowness! Anyway, it took us 1 1/2 hours to get this baby but after awhile, the filly started chewing and licking her lips. Actually she responded to me which thrilled me to no end. I have never done this before but was just going on what I had learned with my own horse and watching other people do it with their horses. But never with a baby. Anyway, there was one point that I thought the baby was going to come to me instead of going on the trailer with her mama. If she had done that I think I would have cried. She was so cute. I talked to her and if I said good girl once I said it a thousand times. And, also I called her girly girl, which is a stupid name for a cute horse but she seemed to like it. Whatever works. Anyway, just wanted to share that since I am on cloud nine because I was a part of this happy ending.:D

Progress of Girly Girl

Yes Karen. I'll be able to hear about her and the mare since the couple that bought them are friends. They will be well taken care of. Actually they didn't look too bad. There was a gelding that was removed the day before that was in worse condition. When they loaded him on the trailer he collapsed. As of yesterday he was not eating well so I don't know the outcome of that one yet. I will learn more of his progress this weekend. The previous owners of the horses were asked why they were so underweight and the owner said it was hard to keep weight on them in the winter. I'm in NC and it's been a nice winter here and my horses are fat and happy so that doesn't make sense. Anyway, now they have a chance at a good life.

Dear BW,

It break my heart to hear of horses not being looked after. I hope that gelding recovers from his neglect. People like that should not be allowed to have animals. I look at my 2 fat spoilt ponys and wonder how anyone could neglect them. I have the worry of them foundering, just can't seem to keep the weight off! Glad to hear you're going well with your natural horsemanship BW.

Sometimes horses founder even when we try our best. Excess weight can be controlled by exercise and reducing their feed. I deleted the feed for my old Walker and he only gets hay. His weight is better for his arthritis when he's not too heavy. My QH however gets his feed twice a day plus all the hay he can eat and he is a perfect weight. I'll post a note on how the gelding is doing. I won't know until this weekend. I wish all horses could have caring owners but they don't. :(

Good for you B W
Seems to me that a horse being underweight and collapsing in a trailer (severe weakness) are two different things. I hope the gelding is ok and keep us updated on the mare and colt. Do these people have other horses?

Update on the gelding

Well, it seems the "gelding" wasn't a gelding after all. It is a colt. I didn't see this little guy so I got some wrong information. This is the one that collapsed on the trailer. He's not doing too well. He won't eat hay or grain, only grass and there's not much of that around here right now. He is down most of the day so the new owner has made a stall for him so he can keep warm. I think maybe the starvation went too far. New owner is going to see if he will eat some equine senior or something with less protein. I don't know what's going to become of this little one. The mare and filly are doing well. The little filly actually jumped a four foot fence yesterday to get to the colt that was being hand grazed. She's doing great!

newrider.com