Using more than one riding school

JodieB

Dec 12, 2019
Is it OK to use more than one riding school for lessons or would it be confusing. I have posted here about choosing the right school.

My issue is there is a school which I really like but its further away so not going to be able to go every week.
There is also a school which is 5 minutes down the road but only has an outdoor arena which is not so great in the weather we have been having but it's close and I can get there much more regularly.

Would it be OK to have lessons at both or would that be likely to be confusing if they teach differently.

My thinking is it will enable me to go more regularly and get more time on different horses which in theory seems like a good idea.

I dont think its an issue at all. Lots of people who own there own horse will have different people come to them. Some will be better for teaching cross country, others for dressage and some at show jumping. You also have to find a teacher that you gel with that brings out the best in your riding.

You can use both schools - but handle it tactfully.If going to the school near at hand gives you more saddle time, that is a major advantage. So do use both.

I went to a very good but expensive teacher for weekly lessons but also hacked once a week from another RS.
However, even tho I am an o.a.p. , I would not choose a school simply because it had an indoor school. Choose for the horse and the teacher -

My RI had no indoor school and unless there are health reasons why you need to be indoors - that should not be a deciding factor. When it is snowy and the ground is frozne, an indoor school is the obvious choice.

No problem at all, though it's probably tactful not to talk about how much you've learned at one while you're at the other ;)

I used to do that when I was younger but the only problem is most horse riding schools nowadays expect commitment. The yard I keep my horse expects a least 6 weeks commitment for lessons and expects you to go every week for the 6 weeks .

Thanks for all your tips. Since starting lessons, I have another question. Is it usual for a group lesson of an hour to be much less than that.

I had a lesson last week and didn't realise until afterwards (as I don't wear a watch) that the lesson was cut short. The lesson started over 20 minutes late but still finished at the time it should have. It was supposed to be an hour and I appreciate that some lessons include time for leading the horse back etc but the lesson actually only lasted around 35 minutes. Is this normal?

Thanks for all your tips. Since starting lessons, I have another question. Is it usual for a group lesson of an hour to be much less than that.

I had a lesson last week and didn't realise until afterwards (as I don't wear a watch) that the lesson was cut short. The lesson started over 20 minutes late but still finished at the time it should have. It was supposed to be an hour and I appreciate that some lessons include time for leading the horse back etc but the lesson actually only lasted around 35 minutes. Is this normal?
Nope that’s not normal If you’re paying for a hour you should be getting a hour lesson.

I don't go for lessons at a school, but if I did I'd be having a word about this as it's unacceptable. You don't go to Tesco and pay for shopping you don't have so why should it be ok to pay fpr lesson time you don't have? I'd get a cheap watch to wear so you can keep an eye on this and speak out before you've even got off, better still say at the outset that the lesson is starting late so will you be getting the full hour because otherwise you won't be paying the full lesson rate.

Reactions: Lexi 123
No that's not right - they're taking advantage. It's darned expensive anyway, so you should get your full session.

Reactions: Lexi 123
I'd have to say it depends why it started late, if they were instructing someone else in the group even at a standstill that might count as lesson time, part of the risk with group lessons is you're held up by others, some yards consider mounting time as part of the lesson time if it requires the instructors attention, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but definitely keep an eye on it and question it.

Thank you, this is all quite interesting and making me realise its really hard for beginner to know what is good/bad/normal.

So is it unusual to have dogs in the arena with you running around while you are having your lesson?

The answer about dogs depends on the dogs, who is teaching and health and safety.
My regular and very expert RI owns small athletic dogs who are often there during a lesson. They stay in a corner of the school. They dont actually run around near the horses.

I would add as a regular hacker that it is invaluable to have horses that are not afraid of dogs. My old share was so frightened of dogs that with other riders she would never enter a meadow used by local dog walkers. It is also good for dogs to be taught how to behave with horses.
You keep askintg what is normal. Few things are actually normal in any riding school.
Decide whether a school has the right horse and teacher for you and then weigh up any safety issues.

I would say dogs running round is unacceptable. Yes you may meet them out hacking but hopefully then the dogs would be under control and horses and dogs would soon be separated. Running loose in a school they're a hazard and increase the risk of an accident. I'd also be curious about the impact on the insurance if they were involved in an accident, indeed with how insurance companies often operate them simply being there may be enough to invalidate a claim.

I would use both riding schools. If one is better, go to that as often as you can to that one. The more practice you have the better. I personally when teaching riders would not have that happening - it could be a safety issue and the owner of the school should know better really. I imagine all the shool horses are used to those particular dogs but for example - should they get a new horse in at any time and it spooks that could upset / spook the others and that could easily be a safety problem for the riders.

newrider.com