used as a brush

pruts

May 18, 2006
Belgium
heya,
just started riding again and i just love the horse they gave me (she's naughty, easily bored, a bit unpredicatble but funny and has a great character, she looks like me :) ), the only thing is, at the end of the lesson, she uses me as a brush, meaning she rubs her head against my shoulders. I actually don't mind at all, the only thing is, is this a good sign or does it mean she wheeps the flour with me and i have no authority at all? (i never saw her doing that with other people).

This is one of those things I disagree on with my horse's previous owner. If I scratch Salsa's neck or withers as an invitation, he rubs his head on me. I think of it as a sign of affection and now this is how he communicates that he would like a scratch, if that's okay :D and he stops rubbing when I start scratching. When I let him rub his head on me when I went to view him before buying, his previous owner firmly said "And I NEVER let him do THAT" because she thought it was bad manners.
You'll find it's one of those things that riders and owners everywhere can't decide! Personally, I think if it's invited, either by scratching or by letting him know that, yes this is cuddly affectionate time, then it's okay. If he did it to someone else, he'd be reminded that he should have an invitation first. To memory, I've not seen him rub his head on anyone else, but I'd imagine if he did it to someone while I wasn't around he'd be firmly put in his place!

Misty always does it after I've ridden and I take her bridle off, or even if she just has an itchy nose! Its one of the reasons I ended up with her, as the lady who went to view her before me was about to say yes, and then Misty started rubbing on her and she said 'I'd never take on a horse that does that!' Personally, I don't mind it.

I think its a personal perference thing and the reason being because no-one can prove that its right or wrong to let them.

If I've ridden Silver, after I take his bridle off he gets an all over head scratch by me. He appreciates it and then has a good yawn and I put his headcollar on properly(was round his neck).

In this type of weather - flies and itchy moulting - well any sort to be honest, I don't allow him to just come up and use me as a rubbing post. He has to ask and I have to allow. He has been known to point with his head where he would like a scratch, mainly his belly, as well sometimes.

I think there is a fine line. xxx

In some cases you are just a scratching post, that's fine if you don't mind.....in others it can be a sign of impatience to get on and do whatever it is you are going to do, sometimes it's just affectionate grooming and attention process......and sometimes if they rub hard enough it can be a sign of pushing you away with an attitude.........IMO.........

It's up to the owners interpretation as to how they deal with it..........I like my scratching post head-rubs, I also like my affectionate mutual grooming/invite headrubs........BUT, I don't like the head thrusts which are disguised as rubs when she is impatient or doesn't want me to do something..........they get told "NO"........she ain't stoopid.......she knows when to stop pushing it LOL

X

I find it a little vigorous with my mare!

Aramis does this, too. Although i think it's just a sign of, come on take my bridle off please!. I dont mind it, but it is quite strong and she sometimes knocks me over (not literally :p) so i just push her away. I brought her in yesterday, and she started rubbing on me for no reason, so i pushed her away and said no. She doesnt like me in her space, why should she be allowed in mine?

Jenny

i stopped letting Max do this, because he used to rub so hard, I'd go flying around the paddock/ring/wherever we were. When he's itchy, I will use my hand and scratch it for him - he is not allowed to see me as a walking scratchpost, only because I'm too little, and he's too big - and that combination usually ends up with me either getting wind-ed when he rubs to hard on my stomach, or knocked over when he rubs too hard on my back.

thanks for all those replies. Glad to know that many horses do that. when i think of it, after the lesson i more or less invite her to cuddle and she does stop when i scratch back. it doesn't feel like impatience, more like, 'hey, we had a great time didn't we?' and me agreeing, 'yes, it was super!!!'

I don't let mine do this, I am not a rubbing post and I have heard of more than one incident of someone getting their skull fractured this way. And at 5ft 0 I get knocked over if Alfie (15.1hh x 15.1hh :D of very solid cob) tries this so it is not allowed. However I will happily initiate a scratch and scratch their itchy bits for them on MY terms :)

Ditto Esther.

It is a sign of disrespect if they instigate the head rubbing, If I invite it, then that's fine. You never see the herd boss get groomed unless he/she invites another to groom them first.

oops, yeah, the 'grooming leader of the herd' thing makes sense. i will observe and watch the thin line next lesson, thanks for the advice!

My l'il 13.2 has always done it, I rub his face to invite him first - he has had blocked tears ducts and gets v. itchy on his face. It's never got out of hand and he stops if I indicate to.

My horse does it to be dominant over me. He will rub his head on me then push me away really hard Im trying to stop him doing it by ignoring him and not giving him the oppurtunity to do it!!

If they do it gently I would say its a sign of affection if they start being rough he's basically pushing you away and trying to tell you he is boss!

Uninvited is a big no, in fact I've just reprimanded Ziz for it - she was impatient to get into the field. After riding we always have a scratch though

newrider.com