Urgent Help please for total beginner

Lulah

Feb 14, 2008
The marshlands of Essex
Hello everyone, this is going to sound a bit mad... but here goes... the owner of the Dales-type pony I have been riding occasionally over the last few months would like me to show her in hand on Sunday - yes, less then 48 hours away. I have never owned a horse and have never shown a pony in my life either in-hand or ridden, in fact I have never been in any kind of equine competition! I have watched many horse/pony classes over the years and once acted as judge's assistant to my sister who was judging the family pony class at a local show (I had to get on and ride them all which was brilliant!).
I am quite happy to have a go, but obviously don't want to make a complete idiot of myself or let down Lulah or her owner.
It's a local riding club novice show and she will be in the "Native Breeds Full and Part Bred" class.
I won't see her until the day of the show so no time to practice.
Lulah is quite a feisty pony and doesn't really like any other horses getting close (but loves people). Last year (before I knew her) she was entered in the same class at the same show and was placed until a horse got too close behind her and she tried to kick it. her owner says this year she will have to have a red ribbon.
So, how can I avoid that situation occurring again?
She has also been very strong and full of it recently (spring grass etc), I am normally pretty confident about handling her but this will make me a bit nervous about the whole thing - any advice?
Finally, i have read a lot of advice on this site about what to wear - I own absolutely nothing in the way of posh riding gear except for jodhpurs - is it really necessary to wear jackets etc at this level - what is the least I can get away with as I have no time to borrow anything?
Thank you very much for any advice.

Big massive red ribbon in her tail and then put her at the back of the entries.

Jimmy is unsettled at shows and may kick. The judge saw the ribbon and asked if he will kick. I told her that I didnt know but the ribbon was to warn people and keep them well back...rather warn than let an accident possibly happen.

Whilst you are at the back of the line watch the others and their mini show. See what you like about the mini shows and add something that will give you and your pony the X factor. :)

Above all go and have fun. Enjoy it. Tis just another day of piccies and fun. :cool:

Make sure it a large red ribbon as Dales ponies are shown with ribbons in their tails anyway so people might not notice.

For showing in hand you dont need joddies, a pair of light coloured trousers is correct if she has dark legs. Some boots or shoes you can run in. A shirt and tie of some sort. A tweed jacket is correct but it doesn't have to be a riding jacket, if you cant get tweed then use any kind of jacket which looks OK with a shirt and tie. You must wear a hat, it doesn't have to be a riding hat but I would avoid baseball caps. Any kind of gloves, brown are best but any colour that isn't too bright will do. A cane is correct but a crop will do.

Use her normal bridle with the reins over her head. Just follow everyone else in the go round, if someone is coming up close behind you then circle into a space and leave plenty of room when you line up. All you usually have to do in the in hand is lead the pony out of the line, stand it up for the judge, walk away, turn and trot back. You usually trot past the judge which gives them a chance to see them trotting from behind. Then stop and salute. NoviceNic is correct, try not to go first and watch everyone else.

Then forget to worry, get in there and enjoy it. And dont forget to smile :D and get someone to take some pics

Pop into town and raid through the charity shops for a tweed jacket.

not sure how big you are but a small mans jacket might suffice or you might be lucky enough to find a ladies one.

although it might look a little old fashioned it is surprising what you can pick up in the charity shops these days!

that's really helpful thank you!

I will ensure we have a large red ribbon! I didn't know that Dales ponies are shown with ribbons...

I just might be able to borrow a tweed jacket tomorrow, I can use my son's school shirt and my friend's showjumping daughter must have some sort of tie I can borrow. I'll dig out some light coloured trousers, I've got my riding hat and brown/blue gloves and I can run in my short black riding boots. If we get through tomorrow without mishap I'll be on eBay for a jacket of my own!

Apparently Lulah has a show bridle - does that use normal reins or a single lead rein?
Finally a daft question - RTK says you trot past the judge and then stop and salute, but where do you salute, as you would be facing away from them - do you turn round again? (the only thing I know is that I must turn the pony away from me, not pull her round) - and what do you do for the salute (I only know what the salute is in driving which is what Lulah does with her owner).

Anyway, thanks everyone, I'm quite excited now!

i've never had to salute in hand...so cant help with that

Basically whenever i have done, we walk around the edge, get to a cornerlineup, trot past so the judge can see around theedge to back of line, then get called in, each bring pony up to judge, tad squarein fontony judge loks thenyou waakaway from judge, turntrot back strih to the judgeso you nearyrunthemover abhindheponies yo yourplace in line
My mare cameintesonat ashow last year and kickedthe mare next to her juniorndr(im cursed in that)
SHe hasnt since tho...
thenyougt sentut gin ouut swp places with some people-ibasicaly hopeimnot called in first d copy the people infront
sorry the key bord im using is really bad at typing

Sorry to confuse you, I didn't mean a salute as in ridden I meant an acknowledgement that you have finished. If the class is busy and you trot round the back of the lineup then the judge is already watching the next horse. If you pull up and walk past the judge back to your place then people usually either nod or say "thank you" and go back to the line up.

Oh and bridle uses normal reins not a single one

Last edited:
Sadly it didn't happen...

Thank you folks for all your help, in the end Lulah's owner decided not to take her to the show. One reason was because one week ago whilst being driven she bolted with the carriage, crossed the lane at a gallop into the farmyard where she lives, owner's OH fell off the back and is now on crutches (she's not horsey and it was only her second time on the back of a carriage) and owner got a real bad scare. (He's been driving lulah for a couple of years and nothing like this has ever happened before).
I rode her yesterday instead and she was as fast and keen and forward-going as ever but I had no problems (I'm a novice rider and can be a bit nervous, so was dead chuffed with myself for getting on with it considering what had happened). I rode her in the field where she bolted and apart from a bit of snorting and fussing she was fine. I don't canter her there anyway as I'm not sure I could stop her, but fast trotting was fine.
Sorry, off topic a bit but I wanted to explain why we didn't go the show. Well in fact I did go to the show to watch others - and it was a good job you all advised me how to dress as everyone there was in all the proper gear, loads of tweed! and I would've looked like a right charlie if I hadn't dressed proper!
Anyway, got to see YO's cob that she bred win the cob class at his very first show, so that was good!
I'll be back for more advice for the next time!!

newrider.com