URGENT help needed please, went to see this pony today...

K

Kate&TheHerd

Top pic

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_22120

beautiful pony but i THINK its too small. have i made the right decision is it too small? shes no more than 12.2 ish, apparently 4 but unsure and a moor pony. (I'm 5ft 2 and 9 stone) Heres a pic i took today, really friendly and could be stunning but i want a pony as a companion, to break in then also ride myself now and again...

ps images taken on very big slope!

Photo-2086.jpg

Photo-2084.jpg

i think it'll depend on what you want to do whilst riding. Jumping and stuff or just gentle hacking. Have you ridden something of the same hight? you might not feel comfotable on her even if she's perfectly capable of carrying you

iv ridden a small poy, i think its fun it doesnt worry me at all, good bombing around i think and possible small sj course for fun! i think this pony may be a bit small?? i think she is younger than 4 as well so may have some growing but still, ooo cant decide im thinking too small?

she's quite a lightweight pony, not chunky, so if you gained weight it could be an issue. I am 5'6 and ride a 15hh middleweight cob, I could see me going down to 14hh maybe but below that i think i would feel a bit big on them - plus i am a lot heavier so i am probably on about the right size/weight ratio with my cob.

she looks a sweet pony but there are lots of those around. i suppose it would depend on how much riding you wanted to do, and how much they want for her.

also a lot of charities have this sort of pony you could probably have one on loan.

If you feel she is too small, then she is too small. You really have to go with your gut instincts when you're the one paying the bills.

She looks like a sweet little cutie, and she's about 4 if I read her ad right, she might have some growing to do, but I'd agree with other posters that she looks a bit lightweight and I guess time would tell if she did get heftier.

It's really up to you. I remember when I was horse shopping, I knew I wanted something in the 14-15 hand range, but was willing to be flexible if I found the right pony/horse above or below my ideals. I did consider a POA for a while since he was supposedly 13.3 hands, but I asked them to measure him and he was only 13.1 I know it's only a few inches difference, but I felt much more comfortable on a 14.1 hand pony than I would have on him.

So it's really up to you. If you like her a lot, go for it. But if you feel she's too small, then listen to your inner feelings because you have to be 100% sure that is what you want. Could you trial her for a week?

Like you say, she looks younger than 4; although I might be wrong!

It might be a push if she actually IS 4, if she was younger, I would say go for it as age would be on her side; encouraging her to fill out and gain an extra inch or two in the future...

Is there no passport? Or does that agree that she is 4?!!

there is a passport and that said 4 :( well iv left her, :( i dont feel she is right, perhaps a bit small!

i think she is fine im 5"2 and 8.5/9 stone i ride a 11.1hh section a, it took me time to adapt but whemn you do ride a horse again you realise how better at balance you are because of riding a little pony

martinez - I agree after riding little ones, even 14h seems huge and I wonder how anyone could ever fall off. My little 11.3 has certainly taught me good balance, what with his tricks and size, I used to come off 15 times a weekend. But not once for 3 years now. Got used to him. Wouldnt get bigger than 12h now.

newrider.com