URGENT foaling mare symptoms please

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
There is a mare on the yard who there is query over whether she is in foal. Vet came yesterday but would only do a blood test. If mare is in foal it is due anytime from now But vet and owner have said it's unlikely but not impossible.
Mare has become very large around her stomach and stomach has dropped. Over last couple of days she has appeared to begin bagging up the other mares are acting odd around her and she has become very cranky when her stomach is touched.
This morning I went out to feed and gave her hers she is very very quiet, watching her flanks, her vulva etc is contracting, her stomach has dropped further and she is tail swishing....I reckon she is in foal and I reckon she looks to be in early stages of birth to me. I am off to work in half hour so have left her loaners poor OH to deal with it but have said to ring me if anything happens or if he is concerned (I only work 20 mins away so can get home quickly if anything should happen)
So I need to know, does she sound like she is foaling and how long does a horses labour last?? mares foal at night usually so will she carry on like this all day or does it sound like she is getting ready now?? I've told loaners OH to make her a stable up with straw and to get her in if he can. But also because owner etc said it was unlikely mare was in foal mare has been on very very restricted feed since on loan as believed to be fat (until recently when she went more mare in foal shaped) so am slightly concerned that if in foal it will be very underweight and malnourished

Foals will take ALL they need from the mare at the expense of the mare, if the mare looks poor IME the foals are big and bouncy.

In general, they start to show colicy stmptoms, standing up, turning around lying down. Once they start these the foal is generally on the ground within 20 -40 minutes. If the mare does this for more than 2 hours there is something up.

The udder is the biggest giveaway, but then I have seen mares run milk for 3 days and some develope no udder and I have been convinced the foal is not getting any milk, only for him to thrive.

Any vet worth his salt should be able to tell a mare at that stage of pregnancy without a blood test, I know I could!

thats what I said...the vets the owner uses is rubbish refused to put hand up her bum and said she didn't know :rolleyes:

Well she has been tail swishing, flank watching, and attempted to lay down (currently out in wet muddy field so changed her mind)

she wont let me touch her teats etc but has definately bagged up

Hope everything is ok. Can't offer advice, but my cob and a mare were rescued so severely starved that they had no mane or tail and didn't resemble cobs at all. Few months afterwards, everyone thought the mare had ballooned due to good grazing, til one morning they found a foal in the field. That foal is now 5 years old and very successfully doing coloured classes at county level.

waiting with bated breath.....please dont keep us waiting too long.....I see you were logged on but went without updating us....bit of luck you are busy helping with a birth:D

I am by no means an expert but it sure sounds like shes about to foal to me.

What is her rear end like? Often right around the dock their bum gets very squishy and bouncy, almost like water in a bag. If she has a bag there is something going on, whether it's a false pregnancy or the real thing.

Last year a mare was brought to a friend because they'd thought she was just fat and when the vet came they discovered she was pregnant. The mare had also had restricted feeding. The filly was born completely healthy, just a bit small. The mare, however, had to have help birthing. Halfway through she didn't have the strength and the foal had to be pulled. She required some TLC, but she made it through just fine and the filly was absolutely beautiful.

well I am afraid it's rubbish news.....mares blood tests came back she isn't in foal...just gone an odd shape and acting oddly:rolleyes::eek: me and her loaner have spent whole day fretting for no reason :eek: her owner came to visit and even called the vet

newrider.com