Ups and downs of competing

raingodz

Aug 8, 2005
Sheffield, UK
www.learning-to-ride.co.uk
Had a mixed start to the year competiton wise. First competition was show jumping too, and it started so badly. We did the clear round class and had one down and 3 refusals, I then went back to the warm up area and some how fell off while cantering a 20m circle, neither I nor the people watching, could work out how we did this. Then in to the 55cm class, which we went clear in, in fact we were the only clear so we won , then 65cm and we had one down, there was only one clear so it was in to the jump off, I took it slowly and carefully and cleared everything in the slowest time, but I ended up second because the other 5 in the jump off all had at least 1 down in their rush to get good times. Next the 75cm and the fillers came out resulting in elimination at jump 5. So a mixed result.

Next competition was dressage, I entered 2 prelim classes. Bea felt calm but maybe a bit lacking in forward propulsion, first class was P1 and at the end I was really not sure how we had done so back to the lorry for food, drink and a regroup. I then decided to change several things, out with the spurs, change stirrup length, and back to warm up. Then someone walked passed and said "well done on your win", didn't know who they were so assumed they were not talking to me, next thing someone from my yard appeared with a 1st rosette and told me I had won! I was very happy, this is our first dressage win, and we had only come 5th in our next best result. I quickly put my stirrups back to where they had been and was about to ditch the spurs when I was told I was in now for my second test. The second test went well, until I picked up a wrong canter lead, sadly it was a close competition and this 1 mistake put us from 2nd to 5th, and I also suspect if I hadn’t had the spurs on we would not have made this mistake. But, overall a good competition.

Next was jump cross, and it was a total disaster. We got there a bit late, to find I had forgotten my bridle. I went to withdraw, but the yard owner said she would lend me one. Sadly by the time I had sorted things out I was very late, ended up having virtually no warm up and got eliminated at jump 3 for 3 refusals. We headed home in not the best mood.

On Sunday I entered a show cross pairs competition. I had two pairs to go with so should be fun. Sadly my first pair fell, so we were eliminated near the beginning of the course. My second pair went much better, I had 1 refusal, sadly in the timed section, but we ended well with 6th place. We then were allowed to do the whole course again non-competitively which was great, a real confidence boost for us. It was a pairs class, so I was following someone, but it was the first time to make it round an XC course with out elimination which did feel very good.

showcross photos:

Image6.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image10.jpg

Wow, you have been busy. And done really well.

What is show cross? I have heard of jump cross but not show cross.

Your show cross pics look great. Looks like you had a fun day even you only finished the course non-competitively.

Where was the show cross?

I think Jump Cross is a brand name? (someone on here will know lol). In this case show cross was a crosscountry corse with a mix of show jumps and solid xc jumps (28 in all) oh, and a bath to jump too! It was in sheffield where I live at the Hallamshire Riding Society show grownd.

competing is such a rollercoaster isn't it!!!!!!!!!!

fab pics mind - looks great fun!

We've found competing to be a helluva ride as well!!! In one day eg dressage, 2 judges, our daughter can get 77% in prelim and then under the next judge, another prelim class, go from 1st to not placed and under 50%!!!!!!!!!!! Both tests look ok to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at least you look like you have enjoying yourself!!!

round here, the fillers go in at 2ft (60cm) and some places they go in at 1'9!!!!!!! Be much easier if they didnt' go in till 75cm that's for sure!!

I totaly agree with you there, there seems to be no concistacy about what dressage judges are looking for. In the test I won we beat my yard owner on one of her event horses, I did not see her test, but in reality there is no way we could beat her lol but some how the judge that day obviousely saw somthing in Bea she liked.

I am in two minds about what you say about fillers, if the fillers came out are 60cm we might be used to them by now lol alternativly we might have given up by now haha hard to tell.

I would rather then came in at 2'3 tbh! At 2ft means you tend to be jumping solid fences all the time - much nicer if there is a small gap between the filler and the pole iyswim!!!

and yep, we've won firsts that I've thought - errr HOW - and we've lost and I've thought - errr how!!!!!

and showing - sheesh, that's even more head scratching!!!!!

at least jumping, the jumps are up or down LOL

Well, another competition of mixed results lol Won the pairs, 6th and double cleat in the 75cm and elimination in the 85cm with her trying to dump me :( although I did stay on and got Save Of The Day haha The organisers said if there was a prize for most entertain bit of riding I would have won!

untitled.png

225725_1788388462013_1008614255_31588691_1364745_n.jpg

225035_1787178151756_1008614255_31587049_8287787_n.jpg

224090_1787177271734_1008614255_31587045_376886_n.jpg

Save of the day:
221615_1787177471739_1008614255_31587046_8006678_n.jpg

Me and my pair proving that grey Conni X ponies are the best :)
228460_1787176991727_1008614255_31587043_6831115_n.jpg

Last edited:
What a stunner Bea is.

If that penultimate picture is the Save of the Day, you are a magician. If it isn't - we demand pix!!!!

Well done on all your competing, you are working really hard.

Busy busy! Well done on your achievements, i love the idea of competing but won't actually do it these days!

What a stunner Bea is.

If that penultimate picture is the Save of the Day, you are a magician. If it isn't - we demand pix!!!!

Well done on all your competing, you are working really hard.

Thanks :) yes that was the save of the day! looking at it I'm not sure how I stayed on, although I think it was partly to do with my reluctance to plaite up haha

Great update and pics! Well done.

I am extremely impressed that you stayed on, I would have been off for sure!:biggrin:

newrider.com