Update on 'trimmer needed'

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
Thanks everyone for help I had Karen Beaumont up last night to Snoopy and she thinks he may have the start of laminitis but we have caught it soon, she was shocked when she saw how much I feed him and said it was enough for a week, she said basically his feet were good but she gave him a bit of a trim and also trimmed his frog. She advised to keep him in for 3 days with soaked hay and no food or a little tiny bit of food if it made me feel better, then put him in another field with not much grass (dont know how he will take to this cos he will be able to see others in main field). I am now cutting down on feed for him and for my mare as well just in case. Does anyone know anything about muzzles for grass do they stop him eating altogether or just restrict it.

It's worth bearing in mind that many horses show signs of potential laminitis in their feet but never go on to actually develop it. However if your horse is overweight and has been footsore then it's worth taking the precautions you've been advised. I'm assuming that's the case?

It depends on your horse but muzzling and turning out with friends is usually preferable to turning out alone in a starvation paddock. Muzzles off the shelf reduce grass intake by up to 80%, but if it isn't actually necessary to reduce it that much then you can make the holes larger on some types.

Yes she is really nice and patient, we were absolutely soaking and as Snoop has feathers his feet were filthy I kept giving her wipes as I felt so bad. I am following her advice and have ordered him a muzzle as I think he would be upset on his own as he can see the others and probably would try and get out to join them, I have watched a dvd Karen gave me and realise now how overweight he is

Just read another post in the cafe area where a lady has lost her horse due to liver failure as she brought it in to prevent lami and due to having no grass its liver failed I am worried now that as I have cut his feed right down and no grass he will get ill any help anyone please

horses do very well without grass.. As long as he is getting (at least) 1.5 - 2% of his body weight in hay or similar he'll be fine. Thats per day, over several 'feeds'

For a 500kg horse thats only 7.5 kgs per 24 hours, with nothing else!

newrider.com