Update on me & my girls - Tally is for sale

P

PatchyPony

Firstly. pleeease dont anyone criticise me over this decision. I appreciate a lot of you have been really supportive and following Tally's and I and our ups and downs. And I know for sure there will be some folk who will disagree and think I should carry on.... However, please remember that no one has actually seen Tally & I together and you only have my posts to go on:eek:

Basically Ive been kidding myself. Its now been almost 3 months, and yes, we have had some good days, but overall we just dont work togther. I havent told anyone, but for the last few weeks i have been dreading going to see to her, and dont even feel as if I like her anymore :( WHat I am 'in love with' isnt actually there. Tally is always going to be just that bit too sharp for me, and too much on the ground. She is always on red alert with me as she doesnt trust my leadership, and try though I might, I am not confident enough to be the leader that she needs and deserves in order for HER to be happy and content. I have noticed a pattern with her stroppiness - if i am able to ride every day she is a really good girl. If I dont, she gets naughty. I actually jumped her today:eek: and she was so happy in herself. She loved it:D Shame I dont:eek: I have spoken at length with my RI who agrees with my decision. She thinks Tally would be better off in a competetive PC home, and thinks she would be a fab jumping pony. With people who are confident on the ground she is a different horse:eek: Sadly, feeling the way I do, we are damaging each other and set in a downward spiral. I know I have made the right decision as I was relieved to get some calls today and have people coming to see her on the weekend. My RI is also on the look out for something more laid back for me.

Roxy - what can I say? :D ASBO! :D She is a darling, VERY naughty but I love her to bits. She is so easy to work with and so friendly, a real people pony. She has uprooted the water pipe in their field, and tipped my barrow over today when i was poo picking, she also ran away with the poo picker:rolleyes:

thanks guys

the one thing we owe to ourselves as horseriders and owners is to be HONEST with ourselves. You have come to what I know is not an easy decision but you have been honest with yourself and nobody has any right to doubt that you have made the right decision for both yourself and Tally.

I hope you find the right home for her and right horse for yourself. May I also say that I admire the fact that you have made the decision to move on, sometimes it is the braver decision to make.

If it feels like the right choice for you then it probably is.
I always think that you spend SO much time, energy and money on a horse then if it is not the right one for you you need to know when to call it a day, for your own well being, and find the horse that is right for you.
I know first hand how demoralising it can be to have a horse that you can't handle on the ground.It made me feel powerless in other areas of my life too!

Thats a shame for you both but you have made a brave and very thought out decision I think.

And if you RI is agreeing then you have someone with experience helping you out.

It will be sad not to see anymore Tally updates but as long as both you and Tally are happy then that is the best outcome of all.

I wish you all the best in finding something more suitable and in finding Tally a home as good as the one you gave her.

You know where I am hun!!! :)

Nikki xxxx

thanks for the support - it really means the world to me. I have shed many tears over this decision - I have only ever felt this way once before - when ending a relationship when I knew I wasnt 'in love' anymore, but it still broke my heart and I felt lost for a while.

I really hope it's 3rd time lucky for me.......... was tempted to say no more mares but I know not all mares are 'mareish'. I loved Skye the Highland I was riding before i got my own. Priority is laid back, good in traffic, and MUST know history.

After many hard decisions we've had this year i can only know where you are coming from.

Good luck on your new search and good luck with tallys new home hun xx

sorry to hear that, she's such a pretty little pony but when it comes to serious descions we cant let cosmetics and our hearts rule our head and i think you've made a very brave and right decision. well done and good luck finding a good home for her and a new horsey for you!

Hi.
I dont know your story but would just like to say that it sounds like you have thought everything through and made the decision that will benefit both you and your horse. Riding is meant to be fun, and if you are at the stage where you even dread going to see your horse, let alone ride her then the time has come to part ways. Good luck in finding her a new home and in the search for your perfect horse. xx

You are being honest with yourself which is the right way to go for you and your horse, i hope it all turns out ok for you and you find one that you click with, good luck:)

So sorry that things haven't worked out!:(

It's such a hard decision for you to make however if your confidence is knocked now and she's already playing on that then it probably is best go call it a day and find a solution where you will both be happy - even if it does mean going your separate ways.

She's not the one for you but will be perfect for someone else.

Likewise there's also a wee pony out there just waiting for you to come and take it home!

Good luck with selling her -and it's good that you are getting help from your RI to select sometime more suitable.

Keep us updated on how things go!

K

It's a horrible horrible feeling to come to this decision BUT it is the RIGHT thing to do.

The right horse is out there waiting for you - just take your time.

And with apologies in advance to all mare owners, I certainly wouldn't have another one!! Not had any good experiences with them at all. Granted there can be some equally horrible geldings but overall I find them much easier to handle.

Very good luck & look forward to hearing all about your search!

It's a horrible horrible feeling to come to this decision BUT it is the RIGHT thing to do.

The right horse is out there waiting for you - just take your time.

And with apologies in advance to all mare owners, I certainly wouldn't have another one!! Not had any good experiences with them at all. Granted there can be some equally horrible geldings but overall I find them much easier to handle.

Very good luck & look forward to hearing all about your search!

thank you:eek:

i keep hearing from peeps that they dont like mares.... my first ponio was a gelding..... BUT i taught myself to ride , unsupevised on a highland mare:rolleyes:, had a TBx mare to do as I liked with just before uni, rode Skye94's highland mare............... all were fine. My chum has 2 mares - both lovely.... and Marsden's Skyla seems to be a sweetie too.. so I just dont know. I guess im not ruling a mare out, but I have to be ultra sure.

When i was looking for my 3rd horse i was so sure i didnt want a mare because a) id only had geldings in the past and got on great with them
and b)id never really met a mare i 'clicked' with

Infact when i first saw indie i thought "Oooh what a lovely horse... oh no its a mare :(" lol
But after having her now i would never rule a horse out because of gender, might be coincidence that the horses youve not had any luck with are mares?

Well done for making such a brave decision, i know from experience that sometimes it can be so hard admitting to both yourself and others what you know in your heart is true, but it feels so much better when you come clean

x x x

So sorry you have had to make this decision but it sounds like you are deffo doing the right thing. - its supposed to be fun afterall. Sure you will be able to find Tally a good home. Best Wishes:)

I hope you don't mind me saying this - I know you don't want to be criticised... but isn't this the second horse that you are selling due to similar problems? Are you sure you are not jumping ahead of yourself whenever you look for a horse?

I know you have looked at a few before you bought your first horse - Danny. But I also know that buying a horse is exciting and people often buy a horse they think fit well without thinking about it properly. Maybe you should take a break from finding "your" horse, and continue with lessons instead, at least until you get a lot more confident, when you think you will be able to handle a more difficult horse...

ALL horses can be difficult, no matter how sweet they may seem at first, and you need to be prepared for that. Horses are animals - even a bombproof horse can go off one day (which happened to someone I know - with a horse aged over 20 who never did anything surprising for the last 10 years!). One riding teacher went so far as to say that with horses, you start anew every single day. Basically, the best thing to do is riding as many different horses as possible - and importantly, even riding the difficult ones. In that way, you can learn how to handle difficult horses, and if you encounter one, you will be prepared. Horses naturally look for leadership, and if you are not very confident - they will know.

To be honest, at my riding school, I have not encountered a horse that would not either buck or bolt or try other ways of testing the rider. In fact, a few weeks ago, I injured myself (ended up in A&E!!!) riding one such horse! And I am not talking about a young horse here - the mare was over 16 years old (but never got out of her "teenage" phase). I don't blame her though - I blame myself. I got used to riding an "easier" horse, and it came as a total surprise...

So, I beg you - once you sell Tally, please don't buy another horse for some time. Gain more experience. Take more lessons, go on a riding holiday. In fact, I know several riding holiday places on the continent who also sell horses, and you can try the horse out during your holidays! Maybe something like that exists here, too? You know about the saying "A dog is for life - not for Christmas" - whilst horses get passed on to another owner sooner, we should at least try to think in a similar fashion before buying the horse...

i went through similar issues and i know how hard it is..
it took me about a year to get to be confident with my horse but i stuck with her and we now have a great bond
however i totally understand your decision and good luck when you start looking for your new horse! ;)

So, I beg you - once you sell Tally, please don't buy another horse for some time. Gain more experience. Take more lessons, go on a riding holiday. In fact, I know several riding holiday places on the continent who also sell horses, and you can try the horse out during your holidays! Maybe something like that exists here, too? You know about the saying "A dog is for life - not for Christmas" - whilst horses get passed on to another owner sooner, we should at least try to think in a similar fashion before buying the horse...

I don't agree that she is jumping ahead of herself! From what I know she is an experienced rider and is selling Tally because she want's to give her a home where she can do the things she enjoys doing like jumping and daily schooling which she is unable to provide- surely thats a sign of someone with knowledge and experience and who is willing to put the horses happiness before her own???

PP has been riding for years so I don't think anyone should be questioning her riding ability or experience with horses! Sometimes horses just don't work out and there are plenty of others on the forum with equal experience who have had to return several horses before finding the right one.

newrider.com