Update on Charlie - pony with liver failiure

LisW

Nov 13, 2007
Suffolk
Well amazingly Charlie is still with us, although still a VERY sick lad.
Had the bllos tests back this morning, which looked pretty desperate. It's not hepititis (sp?). The vet, before i spoke to him this morning, thought form the test results that he probably hadn't made it through the night. It was a long night but he not only made it through - but glimmer of improvement.
knew he was bit better when he got difficult to give his antibiotics to early this morning - actually put up some resistance!
Neurological disturbance is better. He can now stand up without falling over - huge improvement! Still uncordinated walking but better.
Had liver scan & biopsy today, which will give us more clue what's going on hopefully. With HUGE amounts of drugs we seem to be at least reducing the toxins getting to his brain, whilst his liver isn't doing this.
Apparently the liver can regenerate, so there may yet be hope for him, depending on the cause.
Vets have no idea what - they don't even think ragwort poisoning in early life is likely cause.
His eyesight is quite badly affected at the moment we think, which is distressing, but like the laminitis is due to the toxins, so can only hope they reduce.
Another long night ahead with him, but keeping everything crossed that he will improve.
Thank you all for your good wishes - means a lot, as feels a very lonely position to be in at the moment.

I hope your pony pulls through.. sounds like your doing everything possible for him x

Fingers crossed firmly for him and you xxx

I had a pony who had total liver failure once, I really thought I was going to have to have him PTS. The vet told me that I had a less than 5% chance of getting him through the first night. I spent a week camped out in his stable keeping him up, checking his drip, just willing him to fight on.

He survived and is now a healthy, happy 20 year old. That was 10 years ago. We never found out what caused the 'episode' despite bloods and a biopsy.

The liver has a remarkable capacity to heal itself, just stick with it and be there for him. My thoughts are with you both xxxx

Fingers tightly crossed for you and your pony Charlie. I can't imagine how you must feel right now. Keep fighting Charlie xx

Everything crossed for little charlie - hope he pulls through; he's shown amazing strength. Best wishes to you all xxxxx

Thank you. He was actually up much of last night, not falling over. Even had a drink of water which is great. LONG LONG road ahead. Won't get results of liver biopsy until about next thursday, so won't know if all this is "in vain" until then.

newrider.com