update from Joosie land - mostly ponies!

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Thought I'd do a little update about what I've been up to here in France over the last couple of months. It’s been a very busy summer of showjumping and carriage-driving and pony-hugging but there’s a few things in particular I’d like to bring you up-to-date on.

Firstly, you may remember that back in July, my wonderful wonderful boss and her mother bought me a pony for my birthday! Yes, a real live pony, and my first ever – literally a dream come true at the age of 26. He a 20-month-old palomino gelding called Anatole Mouse. He arrived on a horrible rainy day, a scrawny timid thing with a pink bow around his neck and the cutest little whinny I’ve ever heard. Since he arrived he’s grown a lot, both in confidence and around the belly, and he is a cheeky, jolly little chap who just loves human interaction – he will come to anyone in the field and really enjoys being scratched and fussed over. He has proven straightforward and sensible with injections, worming and having his feet trimmed. I regularly take him for long walks in-hand to get him used to being on the road, and he has no trouble with cars, tractors, escaped goats or any of the other stuff we’ve come across. He’s got a lovely character and attitude and I’m besotted with him, really think he’s going to make a fab pony in a few years!

First few days (early July)
DSCF9204.jpg

DSCF9262.jpg

DSCF9270.jpg

DSCF9367.jpg

August
DSCF9424.jpg

DSC00869.jpg

This week
DSC05366.jpg

DSC05316.jpg

DSC05290.jpg

I have also been having fun with another young pony in the form of a 3-year-old 14.2 anglo arab gelding by the name of Mr Busy. He was broken about 6 weeks ago and is as green as grass – he belongs to a friend of my boss’s family, and she offered him to me so I can get experience bringing on a baby (and when he sells I shall get a small cut!). He is a very cheeky chappie and so babyish in many ways, but he also has a great attitude to new things and a really sensible head on his shoulders. He’s going forwards nicely in the school in walk, trot and canter – although steering is still a bit dodgy! – and is fantastic to hack, he doesn’t spook at anything (if he’s nervous he just hides behind another horse!) and this week we have hacked in a group and he led all the way round. I’m having a lot of fun with him!

DSC03951.jpg

DSC04004.jpg

First time in the school (excuse my tension, I was very nervous!)
DSC04560.jpg

DSC04574.jpg

DSC04578.jpg

Another piece of news is that two weeks ago I passed some rather gruelling riding exams by the name of the Galop 7. Basically, the Galop exams are a series of assessments here in France and you have to pass a particular one before you're allowed to compete at a certain level. I have had some nice clear rounds in unaffiliated showjumping with my boss’s schoolmaster, Jam, but she said I could have a go at some Amateur affiliated competitions over the winter if I was interested. I said yes of course, but that meant I had to pass the Galop 7 so I could get my affiliated license. So I went along for a day at an assessment centre – where my exams consisted of dressage, showjumping, cross-country, some practical tests (bandaging, lunging etc) and a written theory paper. All in French – and believe me when I say my French is limited! Somehow though, despite failing the theory paper because my French isn’t good enough to answer a lot of the questions, I managed to pass on the merits of my riding and practical marks (and being good at describing what I mean by gesturing madly with my arms!) so now I can say I do indeed believe in miracles!

Finally, you may also remember Pif & Paf – the wonderful Shetland geldings who are my boss’s mother’s driving ponies. They have had a great summer of competitions culminating 10 days ago where they were leading after the dressage and eventually came a very close 2nd against some rather stiff (and considerably bigger) competition. I also won the grooms’ prize for best turnout which was a nice bonus.

DSC04670.jpg

DSC04677.jpg

DSC04693.jpg

DSC04707.jpg

DSC04867.jpg

DSC04798.jpg

DSC04872.jpg

vlcsnap-2011-09-04-22h58m44s111.png

vlcsnap-2011-09-04-23h11m12s141.png

vlcsnap-2011-09-04-23h29m18s32.png

vlcsnap-2011-09-04-23h30m12s55.png

vlcsnap-2011-09-04-23h36m11s48.png

After that result, the boys are in line to win their championship, but it all hinges on the results of the final competition in 2 weeks’ time. Unfortunately it clashes with a showjumping commitment and we won’t be able to attend, so all we can do is wait to see how everyone else does.

In the meantime, I have borrowed a small saddle and started preparing Pif & Paf for some showjumping of their own – my boss’s mum would like me to do a couple of Crosspole classes with them before they have their winter break. Today I hopped on for their first “training session”. I regularly school them bareback, and they jump nicely whilst freeschooling, but they have never been ridden or jumped under saddle so it was quite physically demanding for them and we kept the session very short. They were incredibly willing and well-behaved and popped over some crosspoles, tiny uprights, a skinny and a double!

Sadly my boss had a few technical issues and didn’t capture the jumping on film (something to do with thinking it was recording when it wasn’t!) but here’s a handful of stills to satisfy your intrigue. Yes, this is a 26-year-old riding Shetland ponies...

PIF

PIF.png

vlcsnap-2011-09-15-19h27m11s217.png

vlcsnap-2011-09-15-19h25m26s196.png

vlcsnap-2011-09-15-19h24m35s192.png

Changeover

vlcsnap-2011-09-15-19h28m14s63.png

PAF ((excuse my leg position – I was riding defensively as he is prone to bucking!))

vlcsnap-2011-09-15-19h30m08s193.png

PAF.png

vlcsnap-2011-09-15-19h33m44s0.png

So yeah – that’s my update for now, hope I haven’t bored you to death! For someone who works in a professional showjumping yard I seem to spend a lot of time playing with ponies!!

Lovely pics and very pretty ponies. That plaiting wouldn't look out of place in a hairdressing salon :giggle:. I especially like the plait in the mane.
Good luck with the competitions that you have coming up and i look forward to reading your updates.

I always read your updates and am so jealous of your life, you sound like you are having a fantastic time. I remember that you have worked in many different countries. Are you going to stay in France for a while longer or do you have plans to work elsewhere?

I always read your updates and am so jealous of your life, you sound like you are having a fantastic time. I remember that you have worked in many different countries. Are you going to stay in France for a while longer or do you have plans to work elsewhere?

I'm staying here til the spring, then probably in April/May time I'll return to the UK to learn to drive and finish saving up for my mega trip to New Zealand. I'm hoping to go out to NZ at the start of 2013.

newrider.com