Unusual (out of fashion or out of date) Tack!

RachelEvent

Apr 12, 2004
London
Visit site
I've spent part of the afternoon going through my yard owners rather extensive tack room, and reading up on some of the more unusual, esoteric or historical pieces of tack. Just wondering if anyone has anything odd hidden away in a corner of the tack room or the attic? Anything hard to get hold of that you swear by?

I remember Jobey/Bucephalus nosebands, very vaguely, from an old instructors horse back in the early 90s... can't even find a picture of one online now!

Pulley Martingales - found one in the tack room, a very logical piece of equipment - but not available on the market at all.

Abbot Davies Balancing Reins were found everywhere in the 90s, but have entirely been out-fashioned by the Pessoa lunging aid.

I bought a sidesaddle for 30quid and partly restored it. I enjoyed doing the history before i sold it. Also bought another and did same thing before sold on.
Not got anything kicking around its gone on ebay. There are a lot of unnecessary gadgets on the market these days though.

am gonna use an abbot davies at the weekend i think, my mum likes them, far better than a pessoa.
got a dumb jockey if that counts as tack. basically a roller with a metal pole on it that you put a hat and jacket on to get them used to stuff behind/above them.

cant think of anything else off the top of my head, but my memory might be jogged by other posts :)

swales 3 in 1 are back in fashion (showing)
i always considered them a driving bit...

My sister bought me a 'horse bit' in Ecuador, it's knocking about somewhere. I really hope it's a piece of tat only made for tourists because it's the most hideous contraption & I wouldn't let it near any horse.

Abbot Davies Balancing Reins were found everywhere in the 90s, but have entirely been out-fashioned by the Pessoa lunging aid.

Is that the bit of string tied to the tail? Wasn't the inventor killed by a horse that freaked wearing one???

I remember white jockey skulls from the 80's... I really wanted one...

abbot davies are also attached to the girth (the way my mum uses)
they have been reinvented by some crackpot woman calling it something different, will find a link :)

Is that the bit of string tied to the tail? Wasn't the inventor killed by a horse that freaked wearing one???

That is the bit of kit... but no, it was invented by Malcolm Pyrah (top showjumper...)

Dumb Jockey is definitely an unusual bit of kit!

I still have jute rugs and those blue/green canvas rugs with the leather straps you looped back through a metal ring on the front, secured with a sucingle. Still have one in use!

On same theme - where are the good ol' Canvass NZ's?

Last compant I knew that made em were Classic Horse Clothing, but not sure if they are still on the go............. (goes off to google!)

I have a green canvas rug with the leather leg straps. I still use it - it's great, doesn't slip without the belly straps even with Dylan being the demon roller that he is and fits really nicely!

Has anyone every laid hands on a Grainger Martingale? that looks like a rather cumbersome bit of equipment.

Or a Rockwell snaffle? I know mainly used in racing, but not unheard of as a training bridle.

Proper leather Scawbriggs also very hard to come by too!

heard of a rockwell snaffle, havent got my old (70's i think) bit book to hand, what does it look like?

string girths are good, my old pony used to wear them cos thats all we had that fitted :p

It's a rockwell snaffle bridle - noseband is attached to the bit, and nose band has a strip running up the face of the horse attached to the poll.

eta. nothing wrong with string girths if the material is smooth and thick - stubben string girths are lovely!

newrider.com