Unscheduled jumping. Whoops.

LBrider

Nov 7, 2010
Suffolk
As some of you may know, I'm a total coward.

I loaned lovely Papillon for six months last year, which did help with my confidence, but I'm someone who thinks that two circuits of cantering is living life on the edge. And jumping is a no no for me, far too scary at 51.

I now do Western lessons, usually on Paps, and we both prefer it to English. I sense he is happier doing things the Western way and we have a better connection. He actually makes me look good sometimes.

Despite all the teenagers at the yard telling me that Paps loves jumping and is very scopey, I have never been tempted although strangely he does seem scared of trot poles on the ground, clearly believing they are Papillon murdering snakes.

So last week we are doing Western patterns and we have to trot up to and over a pole. As we approached, I just knew what was going to happen - I could feel all this energy gather and BOOM! we were over the pole like it was about 4ft high.

Well it was a little scary but also quite thrilling. And happily, no one else in the group had a clue I'd never jumped before, they all assumed it was intentional. :giggle:

So whilst I'm not going to take up jumping thank you, I would be really grateful for some advice on what is the best thing to do if this happens again (which it probably will by all accounts) as I kind of didn't do anything last week, just went with him an miraculously we landed ok, without me falling off. I don't want to over think or over analyse it, but would just like to know what to keep in mind for next time -ie, no idea what I should do with my hands etc.

Thanks in advance. x

No advice as the extent of my jumping career has been a few tiny jumps at the RS we were at and then here with my expensive wasted money jumps (OH thought I was going to be the next big thing in jumping circles:giggle:) until I unceremoniously fell off:wub::mstickle:
Anyhoo, think you did splendidly by the sounds of it! I can "feel" the thrill and happiness in your post:smile: You sound like you're having a good time!

Well done you. What you do will depend on what you want. do you want Paps to carry on jumping trotting poles or to trot/walk over them?

If you want to keep jumping them just do what you did no need to think about position etc just remember to give a little with your arms (allow them forward). if you want to trot or walk them you need to be more determined approach in a steady manner do not change your position at all do not allow paps to speed up etc. best to start in walk until they get the hang of walking over them first.

Well done you. What you do will depend on what you want. do you want Paps to carry on jumping trotting poles or to trot/walk over them?

If you want to keep jumping them just do what you did no need to think about position etc just remember to give a little with your arms (allow them forward). if you want to trot or walk them you need to be more determined approach in a steady manner do not change your position at all do not allow paps to speed up etc. best to start in walk until they get the hang of walking over them first.

Interestingly, now you have asked the question, I guess I wouldn't mind him doing a little jump, I'm just a little scared that he might think he's jumping Beechers Brook next time! Actually, he's a good boy, I doubt he'd do much more with me on board than he did the other day. Funny isn't it, if I'd decided to have a jumping lesson I bet I would have over thought everything and got my knickers in a complete twist, whereas with it happening unexpectedly, it was all fine! Lesson for me there I think.

Oh, also, I don't want him jumping too high in a Western saddle as that horn could be very uncomfortable! :unsure:

Well done you, Its a bit of a surprise isnt it?

Cracker also has a habit of sometimes showing me the quick way over trotting poles. I also had no intention of jumping.

But as he does, I thought I'd better find out what I'm supposed to do, so I had a couple of lessons jumping over VERY tiny jumps, you could just about see daylight under the cross pole, and it was set up with 5 trotting poles in front of it to stop him going over it like its Aintree.

Now at least I know what it feels like when he is going to jump, and in theory know how to ride it. I'm not saying its pretty, but, at least I can go forward with him and sit back down quick. I bought a back protector for these lessons as well.

One day, I hope to do a tiny clear round jumping course, the type that 5 year olds do with their mums.

Last edited:
I cannot give you one ounce of advise with jumping, my expertise is mainly long ago and XC, nothing so formal as jumping in an arena, apart from the occasional loss of sanity!:wink:

I do love your delight in the experience though, go on you, try it again. Small tip if you are jumping western, not an expert opinion by any stretch of the imagination, but I always used to lean back slightly when riding western over a log or something, it is almost essential if you want to avoid a disembowelment if things go a bit pair shaped!:giggle:

newrider.com