Universal Bits/Gag Bits

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Well bitting is always my very most fave subject!!!

I have the same Neue Schule Verbindend in a loose ring - so a thinner mouthpiece and also a Verbindend with the Universal sides for faster work so we can stop - I am very naughty and ride in that with pelham roundings.

Early, early this morning I went for a canter/gallop ride with fellow livery. She has a very quick TB, who is a stress head so we always put her first. Tobes is always VERY strong behind. I hadn't changed the Verbindend from the loose ring to the Universal as we have only done road work since our last show. Actually, he was no stronger and didn't bear down on the bit which he does with the Universal so he was actually easier!

So am wondering does anyone else have an issue with poll pressure causing their horses to bear down on their hands doing fast work in company?

The only time my girl truly bolted with me was in a 3 ring gag, she has a general attitude in life if it hurts/is in her way/is difficult then the best idea is to go at it full steam with her hefty weight, it's just the way she is. I have ridden her in curb bits for years all with varying poll pressure and never had quite the same issue where she was flat out and totally out of control, I have more brakes in a snaffle, but she is best in a curb, subtle variations can make a difference but generally speaking. I would never put her in a gag after that, we must have done a mile flat out including nearly taking out two friends on their horses and a 90 degree corner on loose gravel, clean underwear required!

Reactions: Gimp
Hmm, I was wondering about a curb bit. Although I think for now I will stick with the loose ring. He does get VERY cross with me insisting he stops with the Universal, and it isn't really very helpful for me!

Sounds scarey Jesse, feel for you on that one - still, they do insist we learn one way or another don't they!!

newrider.com