ummmm.....interesting lesson!!! (quite long post!!)

Scribble

Child at Heart
Oct 16, 2004
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
ummmm.....interesting lesson!!!

well, ive had a few lessons now, and seem to be getting the hang of everything, only not in the right order!!! i have read posts on here saying that they find rising trot harder than sitting trot, and i feel like im strange coz im the other way round! maybe because i started rising before sitting, i dont know! anyway, on to todays lesson.....
didnt have my usual horse Thomas as he did loads in the morning and was having a rest, so i had Herbie (ridden him once a while back). instructor said he was a bit more 'forward going' than Thomas, and as you will read, that was an understatement!!!
as Herbie hadn't been out, instructor said i should walk him to get him warmed up, which i did. the outside arena is quite large (4 letters on long side, 1 on short)sorry, not very good with measurements from letters :rolleyes: !!! so, as we got to end of first long side, we had a bit of a spook at nothing (accorging to instructor, and i certainly couldnt see any horsey eating monsters). im quite pleased i didnt panic or fall off, it was quite sudden!!! head went down, shoulder dropped and hopped to one side, then back to normal! so, anyway, that was just the beginning!!! did a bit of rising trot, changed the rein, then out of nowhere dear Herbie decided to canter!!! only ever trying (and failing) to canter on Thomas, it was quite a surprise!! got all the way down to corner and went nicely into trot again. then, 4 lilttle shetlands (start of mini stud!!!) decided they would have a look round, so escaped out of their paddock and ran for it!!! instructor told me to get off (which i did, sharpish!!) and she went to lend a hand catching the little mites! when all was under control, and we were trotting, instructor said to try and stand up in trot, which i kind of acomplished, so woohoo!! then came the asking for canter!! i found it worse than the unexpected one, because i had to think about everything! balance, not getting thrown off on the corners etc.... so we did a fair bit of canter work, and i was sooooo out of breath! decided to try on other rein, but it was waaayyy to bouncy and had to stop after a couple of strides. then that was it! end of half hour madness!!!! then, to rub salt in the wound, he was an angel outside of the arena (stable only few strides away), stopped well, stood nicely for me to get off etc... then off i went, wobbly legs an all, to get daughter from school. i must've looked a right nutter the way i was walking!!! didnt help that the (human) school is downhill!!! was trying so hard not to fall over :D
so, there you have it! hope you all enjoyed my saga!!! hehehehe
Riah :D

Last edited:
Sounds like you had an interesting lesson, Scribble :D Well done for staying on when Herbie spooked - and surviving his cantering! Think I would have got off when the Shetlands turned up, too!! :D

Must say, I find rising trot easiest, unless I'm riding a very 'smooth' horse

Good luck with your next lesson :)

Actually I find riding trot easier too (and more comfortable) even though I'm more out of breath by the end of the lesson.

Good job on a tougher horse, it can be scary. Sounded like a fun and exhilerating lesson.!

~Nicole

I too find the rising trot much easier. :D And its good once in a while to experiment with horses, riding wise. Also on your next lesson (if on Herbie) lean back just a tad in the saddle, this helps when I'm excerising horses that havent been out in a while. The horse takes this motion as a command to relax.. Its all about the body language... And you may also want to try loosening up during cantering don't cling to the saddle, but try to prevent excessive bouncyness. :D

hello, thanks for posting!

I am also out of breath when doing rising trot, but I seem to be doing a fair bit of it each lesson, so I'm getting fitter! lol

And as for not gripping the saddle in canter, I dont think my bottom touched it at all!!! lol, Herbie is very bouncy!!

I did enjoy myself so much, and I will get to ride Herbie again I'm sure, I just dont know when!! I'd like to see if I can ride him as well as I do on my usual horse Thomas. That makes me sound like I'm a top rider!! lol, far from it, I just seem to pick things up quite quickly and just need to practice loads!

Riah :)

newrider.com