ugh thrush!!

jovi_y2k2

Apr 5, 2002
South Yorkshire
what do people find is the best remedy for thrush? star is forever getting it despite having his feet picked out twice a day and having a super clean stable! my farrier never seems too concerned when he comes to do his feet im just fed up of the smell!:( been using purple spray which does help but was just wondering if anyone had a miracle cure out there!;)

some people also use hidrogen paroxide. I read this article on a web site once that said thrush does not always comes from dirtiness but from something in their blood or tissue. I dont remember it exactly, sorry.

Good luck

I'm using diluted Hydrogen Peroxide as Bry has really bad thrush in her rear frogs.

Not hydrogen peroxide!

For a one-off blast to get it under control (and also for WLD) then cleantrax is excellent (though takes ages). For maintenance either borax or cider vinegar is good. Miltons is good for getting on top of it but not for the long term.

If you look at the barefoot forums on EE there are lots of posts on thrush and WLD.

I've found cider vinegar (1:1 with water) plus a couple of drops of tea tree oil to work with Saff though others prefer borax. I used Miltons for a couple of weeks but have gone back onto the cider vinegar now that I've got it back under control.

thanks guys scrubbed his feet out today with hibiscrub and sprayed them (and me!) with purple spray and going to get my hands on some cider vinegar!

First I would look to as why your horse has thrush if his enviroment is clean. Is he out of work? Does he get turnout? Is his diet lacking anything? Then I would look at his feet. Are they contracted or sheared? Does he land slightly heel first?
To get rid of thrush I would use Thrushbuster once a week and scrub his feet out every day with something non caustic like betadine(povidone iodine) or nolvalsan. Does he have a deep central sulci extending to a crack in his heel bulbs? If so then you can pack it with cotton and cepharium sodium, a mastitis antibiotic for lacatating cows.The brand name's today. Or you can ask your farrier to use copper sulfate on his hooves which should take care of the thrush in one go.

seems i may have found my miracle cure, scrubbed stars feet out with hibicrub gave them a really good pick out to get rid of the gunk, got some daktarin atheletes foot cream squirted it into the crevices, then packed cotton wool in to keep it all in, left overnight and through the day, took out the cotton wool the following evening goodbye gunky smelly feet!! keeping up with purple spray now just to ensure little bugs are dead!

Thats good news. I would repeat the hibiscrub scrub once a week for the next few weeks just to make sure. Then spray with dettol (better than purple spray but not such a pretty colour;)).

Tia's owner is off on holiday for the next week but Tia has bad thrush in one mis-shapen frog sulcus (tis congential). She has her feet scrubbed twice a week and dettol injected with a syringe (got a big 50ml one from the vets) into the sulcus everyday and it seems to be keeping on top of it.

I think every yard seems to have thei rown preffered treatment for this. Our solution is to scrub the feet out with a small bit of dettol diluted in lots of water (be careful you don't want the dettol getting into the heels or skin) using a water brush. Then spray with iodine spray and make sure the beds are kept back during the day so they are standing on dry ground

newrider.com