Tyler having some exercise (a rare sight) - Pics

J

jenmac_85

Tyler was pulled out of his cosy stable, woken up and had a slight shock when he realised that today was exercise day lol.

Went to Nik-n-Kias school for some jumping. Didnt manage to get the jumping pics (which is fortunate as I forgot I was about to jump and look a bit scared as Tyler took off) but got some random pics of my tanking around the school lol.:D

If there is anything majorly wrong let me know, but I know that my position could never be classed as the greatest in the world.

Please excuse the stables stains, he had a bath on Monday, but just likes to wind me up :p

I think I was trying to see his ears...I dont know
Ihavenoidea.jpg

Me mid Canter coming up to jump
ComingoutofCanter.jpg

Attempting to get Ty to trot lol. He did it too well actually
GettingreadytojumpTyler.jpg

Another one of me
TrottingTyler.jpg

Nikki getting sorted for a go
AuntiNikkihavingago.jpg

And to finish off a little video, Nikki cantering Ty.

Jenny and Tyler
x

Taken just after new year ;):D

they are fantastic. Well done you for hacking on your own now also!

Go tyler !! bless him xx

I knew I had forgotten to do something!!! Next time will need to get Nikki to remind to change the date, that should be todays date lol. Having to show him off now as I have to work on Saturday when everyone is coming over :(

Just noticed how far back the stirrup is in some of those pics, oh well, could be worse...

x.fat-poney.x, he is an Irish Draught X 16.2hh. However, what makes him look bigger is his weight. The vet said that he wasnt going to have any problems just now, but it wouldn't be wise to let him get any heavier :eek: . My stirrups and I have an on-going relationship problem lol. If I am doing flatwork in walk, no issues, trot I am getting there. As soon as I hit canter we are in a totally different area lol. RI is fortunately very patient :)

Any one any ideas about good exercises for weight loss lol.:D

The other thing is, I tend to ride with as light a contact as possible on the reins, how much contact should I have. My RI says that I need to shorten the reins up, but should I be bringing his head in, or just having them short enough so that I can feel his mouth and have a straight rein from mouth to hand?

Jenny and Tyler

He is gooorgeous! He also looks like a chappy who could have a wee bit of attitude :D

You look great on him!
He looks cute as a coloured ;)

He is gorgeous!
some things I think you could work on would be keeping your heels down and the stirrup under the ball of your foot.
bring your leg back as well. I think maybe you could lengthen your stirrups a hole or two maybe?
and about the reins, there should be a straight line from your elbow to the horses mouth, and you should be able to feel the horses mouth. I've been taught to gentle squeeze and release the reins to get the horse to accept the bit and bring his head down and in more. :)

I'm no expert but I hope I helped lol. :p

I hate to say it, but the best way in IMO to sort out lower leg issues is to do lots and lots of lovely work without stirrups! What you are inadvertantly (sp?) doing in canter, is gripping with your knees, which in turn brings your heel up, and your foot slides through the stirrup. Does Tyler lunge well? If so, an idea could be to work on canter on the lunge without stirrups, really try to relax your lower leg and bring it right down, especially relaxing through the knee. Then, when you do canter with stirrups, concentrate on sitting nice and deeply in the saddle, and again really sinking your weight down to your heel, keeping the knee nice and relaxed. I would say that your lower leg is slightly too forwards, but when jumping you want it more in that position, just try and work on keeping your heel down a bit more, so that on approach to the jump you're sitting ncie and deep in the saddle, with your heels firmly down in the stirrups, so that if Tyler does happen to put in a stop, take off a stride early, or get too close, you're in the most secure position to stop yourself toppling over his head! (Something I'm more than accustomed to - I learn't the hard way to keep my heels down towards jumps :eek:)

Hope that helps,Tyler looks lovely, I'm sure if he rolled a bit more you could pass him off as a skewbald :p

Well tyler is a total hunny!!!

i put up a course of jumps and he did sooooo weell!!!!

i had him trotting and cantering over everyone and he was fab!!!!

Jen was great to she had her first jump that required a total fold and she did soooooo well I was dead chuffed for her!!! tyler is a perfect fit for her as he is soooo forgiving but when you ask him right he opens up and gives you a great ride!!!

I sound like I'm trying to sell him lol!!!

Look out peeps coz Jen and Tyler will be doing the rounds next summer at the shows and there will more than likely be piccies galore lol!!!

Nikki xxxx

The other thing is, I tend to ride with as light a contact as possible on the reins, how much contact should I have.

It really depends on horse and rider. I once rode a horse (everything was checked, back, teeth, tack etc) who HATED contact, would be as wooden as a door. Loose rein = happy soft horse, would do anything to please.
I was always taught that if you can feel the horse's mouth then that is your contact.
Personally, I think as long as the horse is going well, responding to you and accepting the bit, contact and rein length is however much or less you need.
And just think, western riders rodeo etc on loose reins ;)

Last edited:
Think I will try some lunge work as you advised 8-legged-pony. I do have this horrible habit of the heels ending up nearly hitting the saddle lol. Thats a good tip about making sure they are down when approaching a jump, never thought of that :)

My RI Keeps telling me to lengthen my stirrups. I do well for a couple of sessions after she has lengthend them then I take them back up again :eek:. Need to just focus, grit my teeth and practise me thinks lol.

Nik-n-kia did set a fab course of jumps. With a bit of a push he went over them fine, but for a boy who hasnt jumped for a while he did soo well. I'm worse than a parent who has just found out their kids passed an exam lol. Just wait til he enters a competition and gets placed lol :D

I am going to end up giving up with the cleaning lol. He truly believes that his natural colour is skewbald.

Its great to get ppl looking at pics and seeing what I dont when sitting up on him. lol.

Going to hire Nik-n-Kia as promotions manager for Tyler lol.

Jenny and Tyler
x

ME!!!! I'l be promo manager lol!!!

Do I get to be fitness instructor too??? Kia and Tyler can compete who's the fattest soon lol!!! Then they can compete about who has lost the most weight heehee!!!;):p

Oi you MSN lol!!!!!

Nah tyler is a total sweetheart and I wouldsteal him as well as marsden boy, Jenni's boy, Nooksters boy............ need I go on lol!!!

Lovely Pics jen!!!!

Nikki xxxxx

She was jumping too lol :eek:

Her stirrups are longer when she is just doing flat work. i was giving her some jumping pointers lol!!!

Nikki xxxx

I have to admit I find the shorter stirrups more difficult to ride in, well jumping stirrups. M

y RI thinks I ride with stirrups too short and I think will give me stirrup leathers with only one length at some point lol!!!! Although I have ridden short, I found the jumping length really short and felt that i was going to catapault out the seat, so going up to jumping length feels really strange (like mid catapault lol)

Felt as if my heels were digging into his side as I tried to find my balance. Is that normal or is that a Novice Rider Sydrome (or just me lol)

Jenny and Tyler
x

P.S If you are wondering how I can reply so quickly and often at my dads work so sneakily cruising NR lol

Jen its all about learning and trying which you are doing a 110%! the next and most important thing your enjoying it! Keep at it hun. Tyler sounds like a perfect gent!

Jen, I completely understand the jumping length stirrups feeling rather unnerving! Most people seem to have more trouble with longer stirrups, but I personally hate riding jumping length, I just don't feel I can sit properly! I think it just comes down to practice, practice, practice, and soon jumping length stirrups will start to feel more comfortable and hopefully you'll stop thinking you're going to catapult off :D (if you really want to try something that makes you catapult even more than short stirrups, try cantering side-saddle, now that is weird!)

newrider.com