Two failed vettings in as many days :-(

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
HE FAILED!!!!!!!!!

Have got to ring the vet in a few minutes to have a more detailed chat but he was 1 or 2 tenths lame on a front leg. The corresponding diagonal back leg is also a bit lame probably because of over compensation. The hocks were both a bit puffy round the joint (although she wasn't that concerned about that). He was putting the front leg down a lot heavier than all the others. He was also 'noticeably' stiff in walk.

There were also pink bands about 1cm think on the hoof walls (all of them) which she said was bruising and from the position on the hoof would be about 7 months old - so from about August. Could well be that he's had laminitus. Also had some grooves on the hooves and a flaky groove right at the top near the coronet band (can't remember if this was another indicator of laminitus or not). Could be laminitus or could be caused by changes in nutition or change of management.

Whereas yesterdays vet was much more definite saying things like "I can't recommend you buy this horse", todays was much more undecisive.

The seller was busy telling me that all horses this age (13 - 15) will be a bit lame and a bit stiff - doesn't mean anything. And that the vet can't prove he's had laminitus. No, but she can't prove he hasn't either.

I don't know what to think. Yes the laminitus could be managed. But this is my first horse and do I want to add in the extra worry? I'm a novice owner and I will no doubt be worrying about things that probably won't happen but do I want to worry about things that are actually very possible?

The lameness. Is it true that most horses this age will be a bit lame?

Oh and now of course the seller has 3 interested people so needs to know asap! Hmmmmm.

Thoughts on a post card please!

Will update once I've spoken to the vet.

Hmmm, i think the seller in wrong to say that horses that age are a bit lame. I know loads of horses that age that are not lame and the stiffness could be an underlying issue or just because he is unfit and not been in work for a while.

Unfortunately i don't know enough about laminitis to tell whether a horse has had it before or not so the pink bands is interesting, if anyone is to know then surely the vet will!

No it is NOT true that most horses of this age will be a bit lame...what a load of nonsense, whatever the vet says I would not be buying, there are sound horses out there, so sorry to put a downer on this LWTB - but I see a lot of heartache ahead if he is showing signs of lameness, no matter how slight.:poop:

Oh no, I'm gutted for you! I'm not in a position to offer you any advice but I don't like the sound of the "all older horses are a bit lame" comment along with the increase in pressure from the '3 other buyers' :unsure:

I'm so sorry, I know exactly how this feels. I have been there too.

I am a novice and first time owner and as that, would not want the worry of stiffness/arthritis (sp?) and lami etc. It is different if you have the horse and it happens as you just deal with it. I am sure other members will be more use from a health point of view.

I would be walking away, someone will buy him and no doubt without a vetting. Both the horses I had vetted (and failed)sold at vastly reduced prices. I often wonder what became of those horses as they had quite serious issues.

I know how upset you must be, I was gutted, especially the second time round but Caymen was just around the corner and I just know that your perfect horse is too.

No it is NOT true that most horses of this age will be a bit lame...what a load of nonsense, whatever the vet says I would not be buying, there are sound horses out there, so sorry to put a downer on this LWTB - but I see a lot of heartache ahead if he is showing signs of lameness, no matter how slight.:poop:

It's such a shame but I have to agree with this. You don't know his history (neither does the seller) so you have to rely on the vets report. I don't know much about lameness, but for me, I would want any potential horse to pass the vetting with flying colours. He horse isn't that old. If you were talking of a horse aged 25 then I would agree with the seller, but 13 really is not old.

All these ordeals with vettings are making me think... I think if madam was vetted they'd say PTS hahaha :eek:

I just think it depends on the cause of lameness. There is spring grass coming through - if he is sensitive to grass then that could be it... He could have had a wallop in the field... He could have a low level arthritis... It could be ill fitting tack causing a problem (and his saddle did look a bit far up his neck if I remember rightly...?:eek:).... All sorts - I would want the vet to shed more light on what could be causing it.

I think madam would come up as more than 1/2/10ths lame, but she is sound enough to be ridden, not adverse to work ... so just whether you want the risk. I think this is where having a vet you know well really helps - Our vet, though only been working with us for 8 weeks is fab and he puts up with endless questions, so Iw ould ask everything you possibly can.

Sorry to hear about the vetting but if it is laminitis a farrier is a good person to speak to, it is not worth it if you are a novice owner (sorry dont know if you are one). The pony would have to be very carefully managed through out the year if laminitis is the case not just the summer. I had to go through it in the summer and it was a case of me devoting all my time to my one to get him over it. Sorry to have to say this but a seller could say anything for a sale. No one should be made to feel rushed by the seller if you are then walk away.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude but do you generally have bad luck in other areas of life? I just feel like there has been an inordinate amount of terrible things happening with this horse quest. I'm wondering if you're plagued in other areas of your life as well? I feel for you LWTB.

Oh and now of course the seller has 3 interested people so needs to know asap! Hmmmmm.

Thoughts on a post card please!

Will update once I've spoken to the vet.

Then i would allow one of those three to buy and walk away. No seller needs to know asap as you want to sell to someone you are happy with etc etc, i don't like being pressured.

My youngster would fail any vetting, not because she's got major problems but would be classed as lame, i've risked it and taken her own. Yes there are lots of horse who are sound but none are perfect, the only worrying thing for me is your seller.

If it were me, then i'd walk away - my vet would without a doubt fail this horse and tell you not to buy him, we've had lots more than two horses fail vettings over the years. It's horrible to have your heart set on a horse and then it fail the vetting but it's better to walk away now whilst you can

I wouldnt buy a horse that may have had lami either - Wee Robbie was a pity buy whom I didnt bother to get vetted - once home I soon realised by his feet that he'd had lami at some point - too late by then tho! He caused me sooo many sleepless nights worrying about how best to keep him lami free, we managed but it was always at the back of my mind

There will be a horse out there for you.

Oh dear me how devastating ! Could explain the probs you have had to the vet and ask if they know of anything ?

Oh no!!!!

So sorry. I too was a novice owner, waited for 30 years. I wouldn't have taken a horse unless it passed a full vetting with flying colours! That's me though, due to my position of being a first time owner. There are plenty of people who think vettings are a waste of money. I didn't and I don't now.

I was in the same position as you. It's different if your own sound horse develops something in the future but I really don't think it's worth the worry of taking on a horse that already has/may have issues. Yes, he may have had lami, and it can be well managed but I know I wouldn't want to take on a horse, my first that already had that possibility. Things can happen but you want a clean slate to start with in my book.

So sorry, you're really not having much luck are you. How deflating and disappointed you must feel.

My 20 yr old passes a flexion test so no horses that age are not prone to stiffness.

I have to say tho bruising doesnt always show Lami it can ge from a few things but your vet was right to be cautious about the feet and stiffness tho.

Sorry I waffled!

To me, there's no point in having vettings if then you feel you have to think about still buying it if a horse fails. Not being nasty in saying that, at all. I would walk away, though I can appreciate how hard it is! Think the sellers are bang out of order putting pressure on too!

I was lucky in that Rosie passed. I was SO worried about it and would have been devastated if she'd failed. Can't begin to imagine how you feel!

You so have to let your head rule your heart and that's what's so hard! I hated every minute of horse hunting!!

So feel for you!

Thanks guys. At this rate CMP I may break your record! But I also keep thinking of the horse Cortrasna really felt an instant bond with who she then couldn't realistically buy. So maybe my perfect one is still out there.

I just put the phone down to the vet and she has advised me that her gut feeling is that I should walk away. So I will.

BUT for tonight at least I am going to totally wallow. I JUMPED that horse for goodness sake! I had to be led in WALK on one horse and led in trot in another one or two! I really liked him! :cry:

But not enough to risk long term health issues.

And no Flipos mum, I'm not particularly lucky, but I'm not particularly UNlucky generally in life!

JLeahy - the vet was very nice and she has said she knows lots of people in her hunting circle so she will ask around for me. It's going to take a lot for me to dredge some enthusiasm up from somewhere though!!

Not read all the comments so sorry if I repeat.

I would walk away, on the basis that if you do buy, it is likely you will not be covered on either of the legs with insurance. If a horse fails a vetting for any reason an insurance company will never make a pay out. Personally that is enough for me to think it isn't worth the risk.

I think buying a horse at that age is risky anyway, but obviously fine if they are fit and healthy, if they are not like this one, then it is like opening a big can of worms. I think the owner sounds a bit dodgy too after that comment. She is basically saying every horse that age will fail a vetting! So all those show jumpers at that age are all lame then? :unsure:

I have a 15 year old with arthritis and whilst she has never had a lami attack, I have always been very careful and it takes a lot of management. It isn't the easiest and a lot to take on from the onset.

Unfortunately I would walk away if I was you and go back to looking, which is a great shame.

Last edited:
Think you're totally doing the right thing.

If anything positive can come out of this, I'd say it's the fact that you've done things you never imagined. Jumping and cantering on unknown horses! Brave you!! I didn't jump Rosie for 6 months and my friend has had her horse 2 years and has only just cantered.

What a tough time you've been having.

Walk away while you bite back the tears of what could have been.

Seller talking rubbish- three other buyers yeah right! What a load of tosh they speak. I know many late teens/twenties horses who are as sound (if not sounder) than the proverbial pound.

As an owner laminitis is something to be managed not to be be taken into account.

Keep hunting... good luck as ever.

newrider.com