Turning to the right

clafranc

Nov 26, 2007
New England USA
Hi All,

Hoping you can help me with this issue I can't seem to overcome on my own. I am much stronger and more balanced to the left. Unfortunately my pony also bends much more easily this way and making circles to the right is downright ugly with us. I try to duplicate my body balance and motion that I use going to the left but I just have such trouble. At the canter i cannot get a 20m circle without him breaking because I am relying on my hands too much and not turning him w my body. I know he can do it, he makes a nice circle on the lunge line. What can I do to improve this???

I would agree with the above comment but also it may help you to have a check up with a chiropractor or Physiotherapist.It could be nothing but if there is a physical reason as to why you struggle to bend your body more to one side than the other it won't improve unless you get it sorted.

Hi, would agree with other posts re getting physio for yourself, but woud also recommend physio for your horse too. A good equine sports massage therapist (I can recommend someone we use if you would like) will be able to tell you exactly which muscles are causing the stiffness. It's not always the muscles on the side you have probs with either....and it also could be in more than one area, ie neck, shoulder, wither, back, hindquarters.... A physio will give the horse a thorough massage, feeling for areas of stiffness, discomfort, lack of stretch and mobility, which will help, and will also probably give you exercises that you can do to help on the ground and ridden, and also massage techniques that you can do on a regular basis. I promise you, it will tell you so much about your horse!

newrider.com