Turning out in boots?

Nelson is always slashing his back legs to bits and over reaching, he is sooo cumbsy with his back legs its unreal :rolleyes: He doesn't wear any boots while he is out but when he starts doing work or showing I may get him some to save him legs (never anything serious apart from once, just makes a mess of them when he is tear arsing around :p) Knowing my luck he would be more likely to do more damage with boots on :eek:

One of the showjumpers I used to look after was turned out in equi-chaps on all 4 legs because without them he came in with a cut almost every day :eek: If your horse needs protection, give him protection.

i know of a couple people (my instructors) that turn there horses out in brushing boots and overeach boots just to be on the safe side but i dont worry about doing it with mine but it is up to you what ever you feel better doing

I like them to be au naturel as much as possible, so boots only for medical reasons or if they are a serious consistent brusher/overreacher.

Echo that. Overbooting can cause the horse's legs to lose the natural strenght they get by moving without extra support. But, like Tasha said, if there is a medical/brusher/overreaching issue, boot them up!

Nina x

I was going to turn my pony out in boots after he got kicked and needed stitches, and did while it healed properly but then decided that theres still plenty of places for him to get hurt so there wasnt much point, so from that point of view i dont see the point, but like others have said if they really badly overreach or brush then i would, or constantly getting cuts/injurys on theres legs where the boots would protect.

some of the hrses at my yard wear over reaches, two wear brushing boots aswel.

my mare went out in over reaches my first month of having her, then i took them offf, and she goes out without any :D

she did have a full set of equi chaps but kinda killed the back pair :rolleyes: i think i may just take your advice and leave them off for a while and she wat she does. It was for her splints you see.. they seem to have reduced dramatically lately but i dont think it does have anything to with booting her up...

If Kia is going out with new horses or is going into a really muddy field he has his hardy chaps. They helped him woth the mud fever last year and stopped him hurting himself when tearing around ion the really hard ground.

I leave him most of the time without them tho as he doesnt normally need them. They make fantastic travelling boots tho!!!

Nikki xxxx :)

Mine wear brushing boots to go out if they have been stuck in i.e. I'm expecting a major hooley.

Tavia has to wear over-reach boots as she has another few months to go in the egg-bar shoes. Belle wears over-reach boots as she over-reaches every time she has a growing fit and goes butt-high (most of the time ATM :rolleyes: ) - had a couple of really nasty ones so I figure prevention is better than cure.

I have never put boots on Tyler when he gets turned out. I looked at over-reach boots, but he only clips his front legs when I ask him to alter his pace slightly.

Thought about getting the chaps for him, but he would lose them and so far, fingers crossed, no sign of mud fever

Jenny and Tyler
x

Never ever again.

I don't have the photos of Daffy's legs after I went away for the weekend and mum didn't realise he had boots on (it was winter and muddy) but if I did it would definately put people off.

I don't turn Jasper out in brushing boots but our fields are so muddy here at the moment I've put Sportabac's on him which are helping keep his legs clean and dry and probably protecting him against any knocks and scrapes as well.

DSC_1458.jpg

newrider.com