Turning out/bringing in

Pippa.copsey

Sep 11, 2020
Hi! I was wondering if anyone had some advice.

I work at a riding school and ive just started having to turn out and bring in two horses at once very regularly. I get very nervous when asked to do this as I never know the best way to open and close the gates without hitting them and spooking them. It’s also very difficult when there are other horses in the field trying to get out. Is there a best way to do this?

thanks!

I would in the first instance ask the riding to help you. It's good to go to school and have lessons but the stable management side is always good to know.
If there isn't a catch pen on the inside of the gate, they may consider getting one. It's the best thing I have here and safer.

I approach the gate sideways on and open away. I expect the horse to go through and yield so I can then shut it. The opening of the gate pushes and blocks the others and a flick with the leadrope is sufficient if they want to be really rude.

Do you work as a paid employee or are you a helper? If you're a helper I'd say I didn't feel safe doing it and that I would only bring in one at a time. If you're a paid employee it's trickier but I'd again say I didn't feel safe and ask about the health and safety implications and what could be done to make it safer.for you such as a catch pen suggested by @newforest . I also like Newforest's idea of getting someone at the school to show you how to manage a pair at a gate, but if you're nervous I wouldn't advise flicking ropes - horses are too good at reading body language and if they know you don't mean it or are acting out of fear they may well retaliate.

You need to be honest and say you need help. If you're struggling, aside from the fact that it's not safe for you it would also be really easy for a horse to injure themselves on the gate if it went wrong. I've seen a lot of gate injuries over the years, some quite nasty.
Maybe you could find somewhere just outside the gate to tie up the first horse while you go back in for the second?

Reactions: carthorse
I bring in my two together. Fortunately i dont have to worry about other horses trying to get out as i only have two but i do have to shut gates.

I have one oldie and one youngster. I always go to the youngster first generally as he is more sticks his nose in everything, or comes to see me first. But does have a tendency to be cheeky and run off at times. So i put the head collar on him and drap lead over his neck and leave him, whilst i go get my oldie. The youngster will quite often follow me and comes over to join me whilst i put the headcollar on oldie. So i then am able to just lead them across the field together.
Youngster is a lively sole and wants to please but is also over enthusiastic, he quite often wants to get in front. So i find i have to ask him to back up. He has become quite responsive to this now. So if whilst im opening the gate or taking down the electric fence whilst holding him, i will often tell him to back up.
Mine will also naturally yield there quarters when they see the gate coming towards them. I will also say 'swing round' if they are slow on the up take. Usaully 'back up' if they are too close with the chest. Just something that just says move your in the way. Just be consistent with your words, and practice. If the horse wont back up. Use your hand on the front chest and gently push back, and say back up. As soon as the foot lifts to go back release the hand from the chest. Then hand on again for another step back and release. Eventually the horse will learn that you saying back up means they do just that. Exactly the same thing applies to the yielding there back end over. Hand on, speak and release as soon as they start to yield. They will over time also get quicker at it.
Once the horse learns these two things it gives you time and space to then be able to shut a gate once there lead through. The back up is unnatural movement for the horse (as it is for us) so they do have to think about it, but it also teaches them to respect your space and stops them flattening you.

Reactions: carthorse
A comment on @chunky monkey 's excellent post, I've found if something is particularly bargey then rather than the flat of your hand on the chest a finger tip or knuckle to the base of the throat is more effective. I noticed a couple of days ago when someone tried to push my welsh cob back with the flat of their hand he looked at them and then very firmly walked forward into them (which reminded me he'd done that before) then looked a bit sheepish as I came into view with a sharp "Get. Back" which he promptly responded to. I remember when teaching him a flat hand he would always move into, a fingertip or knuckle on a more sensitive area got his attention much better. And watch your body language, no amount of pushing, prodding or verbal cue is going o work if you're hunched over looking at your feet and stepping back - make it very clear that you own the space, not them.

You need to be honest and say you need help. If you're struggling, aside from the fact that it's not safe for you it would also be really easy for a horse to injure themselves on the gate if it went wrong. I've seen a lot of gate injuries over the years, some quite nasty.
Maybe you could find somewhere just outside the gate to tie up the first horse while you go back in for the second?

That's what I used to do when I was bothered about bringing Joe and Storm in together, tie one up outside and go back for the other.

newrider.com