Turning out and Bringing in

Bertie

Nov 6, 2003
South Manchester, UK
Visit site
I trialling a part loan of a gorgoues little cobby type pony, she's great bar a few issues which I'mm looking at. One of the main issues is the field I've been told she not great at being caught but to be honest I've had no problems as yet, I always take a treat ;) :D but turning her out she can get a bit bolshy.

I have to wlak through a small paddock to get to her paddock which she does beuatifully (like a dog on a lead sometimes) but as soon as her gate opens she gets bolshy and yesterday really tried to go for it, I was trying to turn her back to the gate, luckily (but stupidly :rolleyes: :eek: ) I had a firm hold of her head collar and gave it a quick yank down so pressure on her nose and poll as she went to go and said 'NO MANNERS' quite loudly and firmly to which she stopped dead, so I gave her mint, said good girl as I took her collar off and she then walked slowly and then came back for another mint and little pat.

So my question is - Did I do the right thing, it worked and she behaved but I don't want to do the wrong thing and make her frightened of me or create problems for the owner.

Any advice is most welcome :)

Well Hello, long time no see :D

I think you did the right thing, a sharp tug can just re-focus their attention on you, just for long enough for you to do what you need to do and ensures your safety.
The treat at release is a good idea too, hopefully she will learn that with you its worth taking it easy and sticking round for a minute :D

j x

you did right i think :) but i would stop streight away with the tip bits.....you will find over time he will become more bolshy due to tip bits and will expect them all the time.
just make a really big fuss of him and that should sufice

I think you did the right thing - better safe than sorry! And you did give her a treat after!! I find if Storm is being bargy and daft on turning out, a firm "wait" backed up by a pull on the headcollar works - sometimes they need reminding....:)

Get her used to coming in just for a fuss, and whistle when you get to the gate. She will learn that coming in doesn't always mean hard work and will eventually come to your whistle. I've had my horse nine months and it's very rare that I have to go and fetch him.

When you're turning out, ignore her when she is being silly and MAKE her stand facing the gate. Take your time about undoing the headcollar and letting her go. If the field is empty, spend a few minutes standing there and fussing her and let her go in your own time. She will soon learn that being bolshy doesn't work! If she barges you, say "EXCUSE ME?!" in a firm voice, and make her step backwards. If you are in control of where she puts her feet, she will learn that being pushy actually means that it takes longer to get where she wants to be! My horse turns himself around when we get in the gate, and waits as long as I need. Once he's off he lets me out of the gate and THEN kicks his heels up and gallops off to join his mates. :D

The treats when bringing her in I've been advised to do by the owner as without them she can be a bit hard to catch, although she came to call for me and she didn't get the carrot till I'd got the head collar on.

My thoery with treats when turning her out, was to stop her rushing and hopefully realise that it's nice to stand quietly while I get the head collar off so I get a mint, I' didn't give her the 1st mint till she stood quietly and once I'd got her attention she did stand quietly.

I will maybe only do the treat thing every other or every third turnout so she doesn't know when to expect it and will hopefully behave in anticiptaion ;)

Just had this issue...quite recently... and a man at the barn suggested I do the round pen....just to get our horse's attention on us and focus. We did the round about... and after I asked her to stop...I walked over..patted her as a reward...turned around and walked back to the center...and SHE came wlking after me...stood still and quietly right next to me... I patted her again...
I have yet still to do this more often ut the day after that at turnout... Once they saw us... they were alert and looking.. I called their names and they started trotting over ...walked in the gate and managed to catch them w/o being antsy or bargy to move on...

Not sure if it always will work..

Bolshy cobs.. I've got one of them.:rolleyes: I make Captain cirlce tight when he is trying to drag me. This means hard work which then Captain tries desperately to avoid. The back up thing works too. It sounds as though you did a good thing and had control. However can I advise you to lead from a rope as I have on many occasions got fingers and hands twisted in head collars and believe me it hurts. :eek:

newrider.com