Turning head to one side

Gurnosstud

Jul 19, 2007
sunny south wales
I have just broken a pony to harness, but he is holding his head and neck to the left all the time and falling out through the right shoulder. How would I go about correcting this? in ridden I would open up left rein, squeeze right rein and use plenty of right leg, but he doesn't do it ridden, only long reining and driving. Today was the first time I put him in. Will he straighten himself up do you think, or is there a way a to correct.

My only thought would be that he is uncomfortable somewhere therefore leaning to compensate, but you say he doesnt do it when ridden so possible not however maybe being driven is asking him to use a muscle that is not used in riding and therefore something is giving him discomfort.

Might be worth having a chiropractor check it out just to be on the safe side and then once he is checked out and your happy you can work on the issue.

Just a thought, as when i first had my pony, her head leaned terriblly to the right and it was a back issue, she was compensating, doesnt do it now we have sorted the back problem.

Hope it all works out

Gx

Bramble did this mildly as an evasion from school work in the cart, my trainer advised releasing the reins a little to her and she naturally straightened and then to gradually take back a contact. Not sure if it will help with your one but it seemed to work okay for her and she drives straight now :)

Just a thought - you aren't covering your left rein too strongly are you? as this can cause your horse to be unbalanced amd lean to the left. R

newrider.com