Turning a Western Horse English

Galiena

Still sane...I think
Aug 10, 2005
Kentucky, USA
Wow, I haven't been on here in a long time. Anyway...

I may be getting a horse soon, and I've already started looking for one. I found a horse I absolutely love. The only problem is that he has been ridden exclusively Western, and I ride English. How difficult is it to switch a horse over to English? And how is it best done?

...exclusively Western...How difficult is it to switch ...over to English?
As difficult as it for Ricky Skaggs to switch from playing Bluegrass on a fiddle, to playing a Vivaldi on a violin.

And how is it best done?
Learn to play one movement at a time...

Meaning: A fiddle and a violin are two names for the same thing; same-same for a "Western" horse and an "Engilsh" horse. Either can work a cow or Levade; given the correct cue(s).

(Which is why us cowboys have done some pretty fancy Piaffes on our cow horses. ;) )

The difference is in the "player;" so to ride English, the rider has learn to play "English."

Best regards,
Harry

What sort of western has he been doing? General riding, or trained to a high level in something like reining or cutting? The latter might be more difficult to retrain, as they'd be used to very subtle aids that are different to English.

OTOH, I believe most western horses are initially trained to direct rein (before they learn to neck rein), so find out if he's used to a snaffle bit and two-handed riding. Then go forward step by step with introducing the different saddle, and asking him to respond to a different style of aids.

A lot of horses do both with ease, and so do a lot of riders. I wouldn't necessarily be put off, unless you quickly want to be competing in something like dressage or show jumping :D

I wouldn't know how to do it, but my horse is both english and western trained, and even though I ride english i occationally try out the little bits of western I do know and he easily changes between the two.

Good luck if you do decide to get this horse, i'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

Ok, so I found out he hasn't been ridden exclusively English. The people who had him before his current owners, did ride English sometimes (they were Amish, which makes me want him more...I hear Amish horses are supposed to be really good, right?).

I don't believe he's been trained in reining or cutting or anything like that; it sounds like he's just been a trail horse since they've had him.

I would like to eventually show on him, but I think I will first be showing on school horses. So, showing on him won't be for a while.

He is a TWH. I've seen some TWHs do English, but not very many. Do they make good English horses?

PS
Harry, I love the comparison with fiddle vs. violin.

my mare was backed western but had not gone in to a curb when I got her.

When she is sound she goes western and dressage. I took a bit of time to work her with the new saddle on, so she could feel the difference as she moved.

And then, as has been said, it is more about how I ask ? If I ask for jog in her english saddle, I'll get jog ;)

I'm not a big fan of the Amish. I live in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country and I see a lot of very, VERY messed up Amish horses and most of them are gaited. I would say the majority of them have psychological/physical issues that come from constant abuse and working in backbreaking conditions. As a group the Amish are not known for taking wonderful care of their animals. :mad:

Of course I don't mean to say that all Amish abuse their horses. It's just that I would really cautious about purchasing any horse with any Amish background.

I don't know much about how the Amish treat their horses, but I've heard good things about their training. So...I dunno. His current owners have had him for five years. It sounds as though they've never had a problem with him. I'll have to find out for sure (and hope they're honest about it).

I'll find out about the gaited stuff.

My english type appaloosa swings both ways. :) But I've gone the other way, English to western and back to English, just whatever I feel like doing that day. I reckon you'll have a lot of fun with this horse. I'm just learning the joys of trying to control different parts of my horse, something most western horses do with ease. (Such as moving the hips, moving the shoulders, placing each foot where I want it- something that was skipped over completely when learning English riding. ) :)

newrider.com