Turning a pink skinned horse out in summer?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
The big chap went out naked for the second time this year. I started to think about summer and all that. Sox gets sun burn on his nose and around his mouth really. I have previously put sun cream on him but as soon as sox gets in the field he always has a drink. so I thought about keeping him in in the day but he would be the only horse in unless I can persuade one of the girls to keep her pony in aswell as sox...

Someone did actually suggest getting a grazing muzzle and cutting the bottom part out. Not too sure about this really. what would you all do??

I did buy him the mask that has the velco straps and you pop it around the horses noseband of there headcollar. £12 that cost me. soxs finds it annoying and tries to get it off!

I used to put suncream and then a thin layer of zinc oxide and castor oil cream (from Boots) on my grey who was susceptible to sunburn. He would drink, mutual groom, stick his head in hedges, have a good scratch on trees etc and didn't get sunburnt with this on. It's designed to be waterproof and stays put pretty well. If you've never used it before I'd definitely patch test it first.

Before I started using my grazing muzzle I used to put factor 50 suncream on Bens nose everyday as it is bright pink. I used to bring him in when it was really hot anyway but the suncream did the job. As long as you put it on thickly enough then having a drink shouldn't wash it away.

Bo used to get awful sunburn on his nose, I used either high factor waterproof sun block or a full face fly mask with nose. He hated both and getting the sun block on was a massive battle so generally the fly mask was easier as I could get it on and then just peek under it to make sure it wasn't rubbing or anything, he wore it 24/7 including under his bridle being ridden which also helped with his ear issue (in winter he was fine but in summer you couldn't touch his ears as they got so sore from all the bugs biting the insides and again cream was a battle)

We use a mask (without ears) on ours if needed - none of ours have been bothered about it, Sox may find it annoying but if it does the job then he will soon get used to it, better that than burnt, Josh used to have the one with the nose flap on it- suffered muzzle and eyes, although the ones we have now are half face , more to protect eyes due to flies than any sunburn, if we feel any protection is needed on very hot days then its on with the factor 50

Reactions: carthorse
Ben used to hate having his sun cream on. I used to get a big carrot and hold onto one end while he got his teeth in the other end.This kept his head down and while his focus was on the carrot I used my spare hand to cover his muzzle in cream (which I had already put on my hard). We used this trick with some other tricky horses and it has always worked. Only downside is that you have to keep finding really big carrots!

My old boy had a pink face and was very sensitive to the sun. I used Sudocrem on him daily, it was messy but hell so what he blocked out all the sun and didnt wash or rub off, plus of course its medicated!

Baby sunblock, or factor 50+ waterproof suncream. Thicker creams stick better, thinner ones are easier to get on so maybe put a thinner one on first, leave it a few minutes to sink in & then put a thicker one over the top. Of course this is assuming that we get a good enough summer for it to be a problem!

Well we have already had a few lovely warm days of sunshine here 14-16 degrees. I have been putting suncream on his little nose but he is still coming in with a red nose. I might try suncream and sudocream and see how that goes. Any recommendations for full face UV masks? Anyone had any they have loved or hated??

newrider.com