trying to gain weight on my TB

Anna mortimer

Dec 14, 2014
Please can anyone advise how I can gain weight on my TB....

He has alfa a 4 scoops at night with fiber nuggets & all in one balancer. .I give him chaff with a few bits of carrot on a morning & he has unlimited haylage day/nite...but still looks thin????.....

I would really recommend trying Saracens. I feed Re-Leve and my horse looks great this year. He is very fit and in med-heavy work with adlib hay but the feed is the only one that has kept him sane and looking good. They have a helpline which I rang before I started feeding it. This is my boy.

dbb1b10a001d97054c8999ccb9d7e28e.jpg

QUOTE="Cinnabar, post: 2963294, member: 220364"]I would really recommend trying Saracens. I feed Re-Leve and my horse looks great this year. He is very fit and in med-heavy work with adlib hay but the feed is the only one that has kept him sane and looking good. They have a helpline which I rang before I started feeding it. This is my boy.

dbb1b10a001d97054c8999ccb9d7e28e.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Whats the ring for?

Reactions: Trewsers
I used to feed my tb oil to help condition over winter with beet and chaff. Never needed anything else.
Is your worming up to date?
How much feed are you feeding, I know you say scoops, but how much is per scoop.

I agree with splitting feed into smaller meals, the stomach is about rugby ball size so when feeding more than that it gets pushed through the system quicker meaning they get less time to get the nutrients out of it so smaller feeds should help, and I use micronized linseed too which is great.
Is he a stressy TB? if so switching out from regular alfa A to unmollassed might help, the extra sugar can add to anxiety levels which can add to calories burnt, same with haylage > best quality hay :)

I love micronised linseed and coolstance copra for my girl but I love grass nuts! I think they are fantastic and very natural, have used them for lots of horses to gain weight, usually I know not always but usually horses do well on grass so to me it makes sense to continue with that all year. Only reason I don't use them for current horse is we have had major issues finding feeds that she can tolerate but I have just found emerald green which are pretty low sugar and starch for grass nuts :)

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I needed to put weight on my veteran who is cereal intolerant so I gave him three hi oil and fibre feeds a day and also at night he got a big bucket of beetpulp and linseed meal to pick at through the night. Some mornings I had none left some mornings I did. He was also getting 10-12kgd of good hay at night and finishing that as well.

Took me about 3/4 weeks for the weight to start showing on him.

He is fed

Spillers senior fibre
Veteran vitality
Beetpulp
Linseed meal
Tumeric/glucosamine/MSM homemade supplement for his joints
Chasteberry

I have a very fine american TB. I struggled with his weight for the past couple of winters but this year have won the battle.

He is feed twice a day

Micronised linseed (100g per meal)
Calm and conditioner (1 large scoop per meal)
Top Spec ulscerkind (400g per meal)
Pink powder (3 scoops a day)

More hay than he can eat

I would say it is worth having a worm count done too, as sometimes being wormed doesn't get rid of them all. I used Westgate and its a cheap straightforward process.

newrider.com